OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will Primos Turkey Vest???

Started by Gobble Nole, April 08, 2021, 11:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUCKDIGGLER

Ok....here is my .02 on the Will Primos Signature Vest.

As mentioned.....material is ok but not great, stitching is double stitching but not sure how that will translate in durability. Interior pocket zippers are hella noisy....I bought some zipper pulls off Amazon to help with that. I don't like the lack of a higher chest cross strap but that may be a non issue when wearing the vest. I do like the layout overall. The seat and magnet setup up are a resounding win. The hydration system ready back is nice. As others have said ....the best is ok but not worth the $200 price.

So as crazy as it sounds I am going to continue using my Primos Rocker vest. The 2 huge factors for me on that vest are 1, the sit anywhere stadium seat.....I can t think of 3 gobblers in the last 4 seasons that being able to lean way back in that seat allowed me to get away with a less than ideal setup(low cover) and still make it happen. 2, for me being in New England those hand warmer pockets are super welcomed on at least a handful of mornings.....last year.....most mornings.

I will probably just keep the vest and hang it with all the other vests I have bought and have been disappointed in. Maybe it will get it setup and give it a go in the woods to see how it shakes out in the real world. Who knows.

So far in my opinion after seasons of use, my favorites in order would be:
1. Primos Rocker ......could be tweaked to be even better as it is missing a hydration bladder hanger, dedicated long box pocket and obviously could be built tougher.
2. Alps Impact.....again , for me, stadium seat for the win. Lacks enough storage, Thermacell pocket and hydration bladder support. Good vest for the less is more turkey hunter.
3. Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2......build quality was excellent but design, layout and featuring is dated at this point.

I wish some one would make a high quality vest with all or at least most of the features I am looking for.....I'd pay $300 IF it checked most of the boxes I look for....look what the Dixon vests bring....cmon Primos, Nomad, Alps....are you guys listening?

DD :OGturkeyhead:

outdoorsmen

I'm sitting in my vest as I type this. The zippered I think are a non issue. Yes the inside ones rattle a bit but when wearing it they are against your chest and quiet. The striker pockets don't fit all strikers but there are other pockets they can fit in. The box call pockets are by my hip where my gun hit when slung on my shoulder. Just have to be mindful of that. My bigger woodhaven box has to go in the mesh water bottle pocket due to its size.  The seat and magnet are great.

bobk

Had the opportunity to hunt my Primos Signature Vest. It's not the perfect vest but I am satisfied  with it.
Wish it had a better pocket for a longbox and the outside striker pocket would accept all strikers. The inside striker pocket seems to accept most strikers.
The seat and magnet are very nice.
As far as duribatity  it appears to be solid construction,  however only time will tell.

Gobble Nole

I have made one hunt in my vest and the biggest issue with me is the long term durability.  I agree, I have added some zipper pulls and that makes a difference in the silence of the vest.  There are a ton of pockets in the vest and I have everything organized for the most part.  Time will tell as to the overall quality but I do really love the layout.  Also, we killed a bird the first time out...  So I will take that...

tha bugman

Testing the Gen X 2 vs the strap vest and the strap vest is winning out so far.  Biggest complaint with strap vest is no back padding.  If it had that it would be the ultimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyTurk

Does anyone know how much the signature vest weighs?  I have searched but cannot find this info.  I'm looking for something a little lighter weight than my Alps Grand Slam.  Thanks in advance!

ccleroy

Quote from: TonyTurk on May 04, 2021, 08:56:08 PM
Does anyone know how much the signature vest weighs?  I have searched but cannot find this info.  I'm looking for something a little lighter weight than my Alps Grand Slam.  Thanks in advance!

It's about the same as the grand slam, it's not a light vest at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Is the vest made to Primos specifications in china? I just received a bottomland shotgun case and it was made in china. Pretty disappointed.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Gobble Nole

Yes, the vest is made in China.  But I will say that the quality seems better than the Rocker Vest so far.  I have used it now on 4-5 hunts with no issue.

Remturkey

Three weeks of wearing it almost daily and I absolutely love this vest. The number of pockets and layout are great, seat is comfortable and the shoulder straps being adjustable are perfect for finding the sweet spot for balance. I love the rear cargo area that has several compartments and is adjustable with straps. I used this the other day as I was back in a ways when I shot my bird.  It was warm so I cut him up on a log and placed everything in a bag and put it in the cargo pocket. I then put my turkey chair and shirt in there also and pulled straps tight and out I hiked.

Two things I would change on it. First, I would move the chest straps up several inches. I actually just cut the bottom one off as it was unusable to me and just us the top one which is about mid stomach on me.  Second, I would make the pot call pockets just a tad bigger as trying to fit two calls into them can be tricky. Both minor things that I can live with since everything else on the vest is awesome. Hats off to Primos on a well designed and made vest.

DUCKDIGGLER

Ok guys I wanted to get back on this after I had a few days hunting with the vest to give you my honest opinion on it.

Good:
Fit .......is very good. I'm 6' 230 lbs....I bought the XL....fit is good and I tend to carry too much stuff in my vest....even loaded down....ft and adjustment was excellent.

Storage....OMG....first vest I have owned with empty pockets left and like I said I carry a ton of stuff. Everything has a home. Awesome.

Pocket layout and ease of use....also...excellent.

Seat cushion.....comfort level is good and pull handle to help guide the seat as you sit down....very good.

Shell loops....I don't carry many shells but any vest with good shell loops get a check mark from me. Good!

Hydration bladder storage....2 hangers are sewn in....nice if you use a bladder like I do.

Bad:

Most of my issues with this vest revolve around the seat cushion.

It is fine in normal day to day hunting but if you plan to carry a decoy(s) or a gobbler lounger......the seat magnet does not hold the seat in place.....not matter how careful you are....the seat will not stay up.
The plastic buckles that attached the seat to the vest are loud.....I taped them with some lots tape to stop that but then the buckles don't function when you want them to.
Also.....when you shoot a gobbler and want to pack him out in the game pouch....the magnet will not allow the seat to stay up.....I don't enjoy the seat slapping me in the back of my legs for a mile and a half pack out.
If they would have put snaps or buckles on the seat cushion so you could have secured it in the up position.....all these problems would be solved.

Lastly....I miss the added support of a stadium style seat....as The Rocker offers....I have the Alps version as well....too little storage for what I like to carry in the woods. There were several times in the few hunts I tried where I had to pick a less than ideal set up due to that lack of back support where I can get tight to cover and just lean back and have the stadium seat "hold me up".

Overall.....I'd say if you aren't looking for a stadium style seat or don't hunt with decoys or use the game bag to pack your kill out....then this may be the vest for you.

If Primos would offer a version of this vest with a stadium style seat for 2022....I'm all over it!

Let me know if you guys have any particular questions and I can offer my opinion.  DD  :OGturkeyhead:

lunghit

Do you guys happen to know if a DSD jake decoy could fit in the game bag of this vest?
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Spurchaser88

I got one about 3 weeks and so far I'm really liking it.  Guess time will tell how it holds up

DUCKDIGGLER

Quote from: lunghit on May 14, 2021, 04:53:05 AM
Do you guys happen to know if a DSD jake decoy could fit in the game bag of this vest?

I will try that tomorrow and report back to you.  :OGturkeyhead:

lunghit

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on May 14, 2021, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: lunghit on May 14, 2021, 04:53:05 AM

I will try that tomorrow and report back to you.  :OGturkeyhead:

That would be great! I appreciate it
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"