OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting without diaphragm calls

Started by HillclimberWV, May 19, 2021, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctrize

It took my a good amount of time to become proficient with a mouth call and Use them often but for the subtle sounds I go with a pot call.I think a box call will give the most consistent and realistic clucks but I don't enjoy carrying them but have been forcing my self lately.

Kygobblergetter

I kill 99% of my birds only using a mouth call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaredmccullough

I've been natural calling since I was 10. Used to carry a box of a few diaphragms and a box call to help with locating. To many lost calls along with countless other lost things. Now I carry a gun and a bottle of water. I've called in 100s of birds and have been told by pretty much anyone I hunt with it's one of the most realistic sounds they have heard.

I would recommend others trying it isn't hard. That being said I will say I have hunted with a buddy where a bird would gobble to his raspy diaphragm call but not my voice.

I think like anything they have different tastes. I could carry 100 calls to get one to gobble but I'll just move on and find the next ones.

PNWturkey

Quote from: jaredmccullough on May 25, 2021, 06:43:21 PM
I've been natural calling since I was 10.

I've been experimenting with natural calling (mostly yelps and purrs) over the last couple of decades, after being turned on to it by an old-time turkey hunter acquaintance.  I have had some great responses from gobblers!  (and of course some not-so-great responses)

Do you use an exhale or inhale when you make your natural calls?  I seem to get a better response with my exhale calls, but I can get louder and raspier with an inhale call...

guesswho

I'd love to hear a soundfile of the voice calling.  I need some inspiration.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

PNWturkey

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2021, 08:15:49 PM
I'd love to hear a soundfile of the voice calling.  I need some inspiration.

I don't know about the inspiration part  ;D but I uploaded a couple of natural voice clips in the Turkey Call portion of the forum:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,104639.0.html

guesswho

Thanks, now I know what I'll be doing all summer.  My Wife appreciates that inspiration ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

PNWturkey

Quote from: guesswho on May 26, 2021, 01:53:15 PM
Thanks, now I know what I'll be doing all summer.  My Wife appreciates that inspiration ;D

Well, at least she might appreciate that for this one you don't have to buy any new turkey calls ;D  (I'm speaking from personal experience...)