OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Unethical Outfitter  (Read 7124 times)

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: Unethical Outfitter
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »
You may as well be knocking on doors in New York City and asking to hunt their apartment balcony as getting cold permission in South Florida.  Ain't happening any more down there.  When I was a young 'un 40 years ago, sure.  Now?  not a chance. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »
You may as well be knocking on doors in New York City and asking to hunt their apartment balcony as getting cold permission in South Florida.  Ain't happening any more down there.  When I was a young 'un 40 years ago, sure.  Now?  not a chance.

How about knocking on doors with a big wad of greenbacks in hand?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline turkeygod4

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 08:02:47 PM »
This is the first thread I have read on here where I just want to say “stop”.  I don’t really want to hear about it.   There is an old saying that always rings true.   “Two wrongs don’t make a right”.   Please don’t say you gave in to the pressure.  What pressure?  According to your story,  you were hunting with a piece of _____ outfitter and a no good guide.  What kind of pressure could two people like that apply to an ethical turkey hunter?  None.  That is the answer.   If you had not shot and complained or not shot and simply left,  I would support you 100 percent.  However,  I am no more sympathetic to your situation than I am your outfitter.   You each got what you deserved.
Good thing I'm not looking for sympathy. Thanks for your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 10:26:52 PM »
I am a little more sympathetic to your problem, I would not have shot. Nobody calls my shots. I did however have a bad experience with an outfitter(only time I ever used one) and see that some are very shady. I booked a hunt in Mo/Ks/and SD with an outfitter. When I showed up to his"camp in Mo, he was not to be found and never returned my calls. I got my license and slept in my rental that night in his yard. I hunted a WMA I scouted and made it into a great trip. I also had a chance to shoot a huge double bearded tom, across the property line of the WMA, and passed on an 18 yard shot at the biggest turkey I will probably ever see. Nobody around except me and my conscience. I did my homework and got hosed, I feel for you on that. But never give in to that BS. I did report him to local F&G and he was caught. I got my money back and he was fined. I still had a great trip and will try that area in the future. With my wife or kids this time. Al Baker

I know exactly who this one has the potential to be. He’s everything you think of him and more. A liar and a scam artist.

Offline Dukhuntr1991

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2021, 06:04:46 AM »

The money isn’t the issue. More than enough guys are willing to pay big money. Liability is the issue.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »

The money isn’t the issue. More than enough guys are willing to pay big money. Liability is the issue.

I agree that liability is an issue but I think a wavier will overcome that.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 09:38:07 PM »
10 acres/ Id be bored in 2 hrs.  Any good outfitter should have room to move around.

Offline longbeards

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 07:03:25 AM »
Sorry for your bad experience, post the outfitters name and get on with turkey hunting!! Of all the places I have turkey hunted in the last 40 years, Fla goes down as the craziest,,,,packed public land with people lining up 3 hrs before daylight,,,,to get on!! Everything stings or bites,,,, Only hunted it once but that was enough.....never will kill a Osc,,,,but choose to hunt states much more enjoyable!!

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 09:17:56 AM »
Plenty of shady outfitters out there. You have to do your research, and preferably have a buddy who had a positive prior experience with the guy.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »
When I hunted Florida I was extremely fortunate. At that time...back in 1988...my BIL had a repair garage in Sarasota...I'm up here in NY. I asked him if he knew anybody that would let me turkey hunt. He got back to me that a cattle rancher inland from him was a customer...and would let me hunt. Well...I jumped on that. On his unpressured, unhunted ranch it took me all of two days to bag a couple Osceolas. The first was a dandy with a triple beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

Regarding hunting with a guide, do what you will. But I will never do so. The only time I have ever had a paid guide was to get my bow moose in NF...only because you have to in Canada.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 07:21:10 PM »
When I hunted Florida I was extremely fortunate. At that time...back in 1988...my BIL had a repair garage in Sarasota...I'm up here in NY. I asked him if he knew anybody that would let me turkey hunt. He got back to me that a cattle rancher inland from him was a customer...and would let me hunt. Well...I jumped on that. On his unpressured, unhunted ranch it took me all of two days to bag a couple Osceolas. The first was a dandy with a triple beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

Regarding hunting with a guide, do what you will. But I will never do so. The only time I have ever had a paid guide was to get my bow moose in NF...only because you have to in Canada.

"At that time...back in 1988" I am not sure how a hunt back in 1988 is even relavent to todays Florida hunting. Florida has probably not seen many generous cattle ranchers in decades. Weather you hunt with or without a guide is an entirely personal decision and often depends on many different variables when hunting far from home. As stated many different variables exist such as the requirement to have a guide in Canada Geez :TooFunny:

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 12:59:03 PM »
I have to say, I think you’re WAY more generous than I would have been.
I had a similar experience with a guy in Tx. who actually had an outdoor show called Tex Mex Outdoors.
I was bowhunting exotics and he told me there was a species of sheep on this one ranch. They weren’t there...
I payed him for everything else that I hunted but not that species. Had they been there and I couldn’t get them, I wouldn’t have had the slightest issue paying. His excuse was, they were here three weeks ago according to someone he knew. Of course other people had hunted there since, and, to be honest, the guy had a little trouble with the truth.
Regarding “the shot”, you gave in to the pressure. New guy in camp. They kind of have you in a spot. You trust that they’ll do what’s right...I understand how that could cloud your judgement. At least you purposely missed. I know a LOT of guys who would have caved and buried it. I give you credit there.
Had you not shot, and I’m sure you’re painfully aware of this, you’d have had leverage to withhold payment, legitimately.
Appreciate you naming them for everyone else. I don’t care their reputation, if they did it, they need to own it and change it.
I’ve had some really good experiences with outfitters and really bad ones. You wonder how the bad ones look in the mirror...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 11:41:45 PM »
I would not pay more than ten dollars to sit in a blind on the same 10 acres for 3 days.  That is where you have a legitimate claim that you should get your money back.  I think I would rather slum around public land and not see or hear anything than spend all the money and do that, at least I’d get some exercise.  At least I’d have a chance at finding a shed antler or some mushrooms, or identify a new (to me) species of tree or anything.

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
I don't like outfitters,  and I would never pay one a dime.