OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Unethical Outfitter  (Read 7056 times)

Offline turkeygod4

Re: Unethical Outfitter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 10:38:06 PM »
To play devils advocate, should you not have paid the remaining balance because you didn't have a chance to cleanly harvest a bird or because you sat in the same blind for 3 days? I see what you're saying but that almost makes it sound like if you did have a chance to shoot a gobbler fairly, you wouldn't have had an issue paying even if all of the poor aspects of this hunt (the blind, the property, etc) were still the same. In fairness, even if this outfitter busted their  the right way, it still shouldn't even remotely be a guarantee that you have a clean shot at a gobbler. I guess I'm just not a fan of outfitted hunts, especially when you can hit public land or knock on doors
I know there's no guarantee in a hunt. I don't mind hunting the same spot or area if that's where the action is. It felt a lot more.like deer hunting over a feeder than a turkey hunt.
I don't like the fact of paying the remaining balance because of the opportunity to cleanly harvest a bird. Didn't expect to be pressured into shooting at birds across the fence line.
I'd be ok to paying a pro-rated amount for not getting a bird would be better. I know they still have costs to cover their overheads, insurance, etc.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 11:11:46 PM »
The part that hits home for me is the outfitters name. That's really all I need to know.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 11:17:50 PM »
I don't mind saying if it helps someone out. This was at S&N Outfitters. I do agree that I'm on the hook for the money since I took a shot technically. I'm not too mad about the money as I make a good living but someone with not as much spending cash would be in a different boat. I had a good time other than the bad stuff that went down.
For the area, yes there were a lot of birds on the park across the fence.

I'm mostly upset as this would have been my first Osceola, completed my first slam, and would have been bird #100.

I will not be back with them that's for sure.

Dang that’s a bummer... I thought they were supposed to be a good place. I know Scott Ellis is guiding for them at the moment.

Bummer because that’s some real shady crap to pull for what seems to be a top notch place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 11:26:06 PM »
That sucks!! It's not the first time I've heard about unethical guides. Shoot me a PM if you want the contact info on a legit Osceola guide I've known for almost 30 years, and has an EXCELLENT success record.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 11:30:33 PM »

or knock on doors

Apparently you haven't tried knocking on doors in Osceola country in the last 30 years. They'll laugh in your face.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:43 PM »
I don't mind saying if it helps someone out. This was at S&N Outfitters. I do agree that I'm on the hook for the money since I took a shot technically. I'm not too mad about the money as I make a good living but someone with not as much spending cash would be in a different boat. I had a good time other than the bad stuff that went down.

I'm mostly upset as this would have been my first Osceola, completed my first slam, and would have been bird #100.

Hard to beleive S&N would treat someone like this. I have always heard good things about them and was considering a hunt.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline turkeygod4

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 01:59:10 PM »

Hard to beleive S&N would treat someone like this. I have always heard good things about them and was considering a hunt.

I heard great things about them which is why I booked a hunt with them. I've always hunted public land or got permission to hunt private. As this was my attempt at an Osceola I decided I would pay the money and hunt with an outfitter vs trying to get one on some very tough public ground.
I'm not trying to bad mouth them or ruin their reputation. I'm just sharing my experience with them. I'm hoping this in only a one off. The other hunters in camp harvested their birds and appeared to have a great time. They also hunted on larger parcels of property than I.

Offline turkeygod4

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »

Dang that’s a bummer... I thought they were supposed to be a good place. I know Scott Ellis is guiding for them at the moment.

Bummer because that’s some real shady crap to pull for what seems to be a top notch place.

Scott was actually in camp. He rolled into in a couple hours after I did. He and I spent the evening scouting/roosting birds for his hunter for the next morning. He was a great guy. Never thought in my life I would be roosting birds and drinking some brews with Scott. Unfortunately that was really the only highlight of the trip.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »

Scott was actually in camp. He rolled into in a couple hours after I did. He and I spent the evening scouting/roosting birds for his hunter for the next morning. He was a great guy. Never thought in my life I would be roosting birds and drinking some brews with Scott. Unfortunately that was really the only highlight of the trip.

I would have liked to meet Scott. Been using his videos for some time. Great stuff.

One thing about this post is that it is rather onesided. There are always two sides to a story and a lot of variables. I certainly would not make a judgement call on this outfitter without hearing his side. To many friends have spoken highly of S&N. Just like Google reviews I am always skeptical.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline turkeygod4

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »

I would have liked to meet Scott. Been using his videos for some time. Great stuff.

One thing about this post is that it is rather onesided. There are always two sides to a story and a lot of variables. I certainly would not make a judgement call on this outfitter without hearing his side. To many friends have spoken highly of S&N. Just like Google reviews I am always skeptical.
I agree, there are, but I have no reason and gain nothing by lying. I regret not doing enough to speak up about going to a different location. I grew up mainly hunting Rio's on large acreage so I did not question the tactics used to hunt Osceola's. I believe they best know how to get on birds. I've hunted turkeys over 20 years and this was my first time hunting with an outfitter. So yea some blame can be put on me for not doing something about it and I should have listened to my gut when I was not comfortable.   

Offline AndyN

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »
I'm sure the local game warden would love to hear that they are regularly encouraging people to shoot across property lines. Good guides are hard to come by. Most that I run into are in it for a quick buck and don't mind bending the rules or screwing people over to achieve success. I'd like to do an Osceola trip sometime but it will likely be when I can take 10+ days off to do it on public vs paying 2-3k for a bird. The idea of hunting birds that are only there due to the bait pile that is 100yds away isn't appealing to me.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 06:44:25 PM »

That’s cool you got to hang out with Scott. He seems like a real solid guy.

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 08:32:10 PM »
I wonder if that hunt Scott filmed with them not too long ago was in that exact same blind?

Lots of questions to be answered there.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 03:28:01 PM »
This is the first thread I have read on here where I just want to say “stop”.  I don’t really want to hear about it.   There is an old saying that always rings true.   “Two wrongs don’t make a right”.   Please don’t say you gave in to the pressure.  What pressure?  According to your story,  you were hunting with a piece of _____ outfitter and a no good guide.  What kind of pressure could two people like that apply to an ethical turkey hunter?  None.  That is the answer.   If you had not shot and complained or not shot and simply left,  I would support you 100 percent.  However,  I am no more sympathetic to your situation than I am your outfitter.   You each got what you deserved.   

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
I am a little more sympathetic to your problem, I would not have shot. Nobody calls my shots. I did however have a bad experience with an outfitter(only time I ever used one) and see that some are very shady. I booked a hunt in Mo/Ks/and SD with an outfitter. When I showed up to his"camp in Mo, he was not to be found and never returned my calls. I got my license and slept in my rental that night in his yard. I hunted a WMA I scouted and made it into a great trip. I also had a chance to shoot a huge double bearded tom, across the property line of the WMA, and passed on an 18 yard shot at the biggest turkey I will probably ever see. Nobody around except me and my conscience. I did my homework and got hosed, I feel for you on that. But never give in to that BS. I did report him to local F&G and he was caught. I got my money back and he was fined. I still had a great trip and will try that area in the future. With my wife or kids this time. Al Baker