OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bobcat attacks decoy

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, April 15, 2021, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

My co-worker told me he had an experience with a bobcat yesterday morning.  He was calling and had decoys set up about 15-20 yards away.  Bobcat came running through the woods, probably coming to his calling.  Bobcat saw his decoys and froze and stayed still for a few seconds.  Then he tackled the jake decoy he was using full on.  Instantly the bobcat realized it wasn't a turkey, jumped straight up in the air like surprised cats do and took off.  I just wish my co-worker would have shot him, but they have a season for bobcat here and it would have been illegal.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

jhoward11

I bet it was cool to see! No season here, so if i get a chance, BANG!!!

Sungrazer

That's neat! I finally saw one here in central Illinois a few years ago while Turkey scouting. I was pretty close and got to watch the cat stalk a big Ol' Coon, the Raccoon never saw the cat, and when the cat got pretty close I think it changed its mind. I was thinking " I'm about to see one heck of a tussle"!
I called the game warden and he said that it was pretty neat I saw one, they are usually nocturnal.

joey46

I had it happen in Big Cypress National Preserve.  I saw him sneaking in then pounce. He realized his mistake and took off,just as quickly.  Guys down there now post pictures of panthers stalking their decoys.  Eek! 
I have pictures from last year of a young bobcat enthralled with my Funky Chicken decoy.  I'll look for them.

bbcoach

A buddy and I were hunting side by side on the ground last spring.  I was calling and we had one come to the call within 5 yards of us.  I'm glad we weren't like the jake though.

Which Gun

I've had bobcat come in before to after decoy. He came out to my left less then 10yds.

Buckman18

I had a bobcat try to pounce me earlier today in the north GA mountains. Ive heard and read of it happening but this was my first personal time experiencing it. He literally got to my boots before I could do the boomba-loomba and make a noise. Luckily he veered away at the last second and disappeared.

2eagles

I had a stray pit bull type dog attack my decoy a few years ago. He came running full speed and hit the decoy before I realized what was happening. He was gone in no time. The decoy was fine but the stake broke from impact and had blood on it. I don't think it was from my decoy.

RutnNStrutn

I've had experiences with bobcats and coyotes. Wherever it's legal, I always shoot the yote.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

The coolest attacks on my decoys were these.
A bald eagle flew in and landed on a branch about 80 yards away. He eyeballed my old foam decoy for a few minutes, then hopped off the branches and sailed in. He grabbed the deke and flew off with it. After flying about 75 yards, he figured it out and dropped the deke.
Another time I had the biggest hawk I've ever seen fly in and knock my deke off the stake and landed right beside it. It quickly realized it had been fooled. When I went to put the decoy back on its stake, I found talon marks from the attack up and down the neck.
The funniest "attack", was when a big ole wild cow walked up and grabbed my decoy in its mouth, and walked off with it. I had to jump up and chase it down to get it to drop my deke.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Meleagris gallopavo

I've had bald eagles go after my duck decoys before. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

I have been pestered by hawks more times then I can count. They mostly just swoop over the decoys. Deer have a huge fasination to decoys as well.

Most states have Bobcat seasons so its probably illegal to shoot them in the Spring. However, once I see one or catch a picture on a trail cam I will hunt that area very hard in the fall when season is in. I have a 25lber at the taxidermist now.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

captpete

Quote from: mtns2hunt on April 18, 2021, 07:09:29 PM
I have been pestered by hawks more times then I can count. They mostly just swoop over the decoys. Deer have a huge fasination to decoys as well.

Most states have Bobcat seasons so its probably illegal to shoot them in the Spring. However, once I see one or catch a picture on a trail cam I will hunt that area very hard in the fall when season is in. I have a 25lber at the taxidermist now.

I have seen that several times. A couple of years ago the wife and I watched a young buck for about 25-30 minutes investigate our decoys. He was upwind, down wind and every which direction. At one point he was within 15 yards of them and got spooked...I think he got a whiff of us on the decoys.
I have had several coyotes come to the calls/ decoys, but usually it happened so fast I don't get shot at them...they are there and gone.

Meleagris gallopavo

I watched 6 deer enter a field where I watching 2 turkey hens.  The turkeys were indifferent to the deer and if anything walked towards them.  They ended up being like 20 yards apart and just walked off foraging in different directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk