OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to deal with a hung up gobbler.  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: How to deal with a hung up gobbler.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 09:25:38 PM »
I also like the ploy of getting a bird fired up and then going silent for a bit.  The more you call, the more he expects that hen to come to him.

Sometimes I will walk parallel or slightly away from him while calling, and then shut up after making some quiet clucks/purrs (making sure the bird cannot see me, but also does not have terrible terrain to cross).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline ClayR089

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 12:20:43 AM »
Fire him and then shut up.
You mean to fire him up, I’m assuming? Call loud and hot then shut up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »

"Loud and hot" is a relative term.  What one of us defines as such may be entirely different than the next guy with a call.  For me personally, "loud and hot" in these situations is a series of sharp cuts with maybe a few yelps thrown in. The "then shut up" part is totally contingent upon the reaction I get from that gobbler.

Whatever you try, the trick is to not do something that triggers suspicion in the bird(s) you are dealing with,...or at the other extreme, triggers something that makes him/them want to come to you.  That's a pretty general and simple statement to make, and in addition, what WE hunters think will (or will not) trigger (or not trigger) a gobbler is not necessarily what HE is (or is not) triggered by.   ;D

All of the advice given here has been spot on...in a particular hunting scenario.   When all is said and done, the best any of us can do is apply the knowledge gained from our individual experiences, and under our own hunting conditions in the specific places we hunt.  Then, apply the best strategy that seems to "fit" at the moment. 

We all tend to beat ourselves up when things don't pan out.  We start second guessing ourselves about the strategies we used.  To be sure, there are a number of tactics that can be employed in trying to fool a reluctant gobbler.  And just as assuredly, some of those tactics are "polar opposites" of each other.  In every instance, we are faced with the decision to take one approach over another.  The best we can do is choose one, apply it, and see how the gobbler reacts.

Sometimes we choose the right approach (and become legends in our own minds).   ;D :angel9:  ....But, as some point, reality is going to set in, at which time we realize that we are not.   :D ;)    Rest assured, nothing is going to work all the time...and, from what I have seen, ANYTHING will work once in a while.    ;D
Over the decades, one lesson stands out, and that is "Just go huntin'...and see what happens"!  :toothy9:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:22:54 PM by GobbleNut »

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
I decided a long time ago I was giving up on falling in love with any particular Gobbler. Sometimes we get stuck on "I got to get that old bird and prove I can beat him". I will rarely if ever spend more then two back to back days targeting one specific gobbler. I hunt the ones that like to play, becasue they are fun and rewarding. If I run in to an old contrary bird, I will leave him and go look elsewhere. I may come back 2-3 hours later and try and strike him. Like I said I won't dog a bird, but I will return to him several times a season and try and catch him on a "horny" day. I will also try different times of day. I may go early and get to his strutt zone before daylight, but in my old age I just don't give a crap that much anymore. I like to hear birds gobble and respond and if I can get him in for a shot great, but I have fun if I don't. Sure, I like to dual an old cagey bird, but I ain't burning my season up on him. The day is coming he'll break and come. If he's on public land that may be to someone else's gun, but that is ok, good for them. I have found sooner or later they all play, just keep going but don't start a love affair with him. He'll learn you as much as you learn him. Most times I will completely pull off a bird and go back to him at the end of season when he's lonely. Also change up calls and the way you approach, like I said they learn about you too. I have killed many "impossible old gobblers" someone tells me they have been after a bird that's unkillable and offers me a chance to go try him. Many times I have killed him on my first try. Why is that? Becasue, I am totally new, new call, new cadance, new tone, new approach, new setup location and usually later season with no hens....Then they say how'd you kill him, I just shrug and say, "skill Baby, SKill". It has nothing to do with skill and all about you and your approach. I don't have any secrets other than I'm different. I have had tha same scenario flip on me, I put someone on a bird and they kill it easy peasy. I'll say it again, don't fall in love with any bird!

Which Gun

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 09:53:21 AM »
I’d have to say eggshell your spot on. BUT it’s hard not trying to match wits with one and win.  I had an old bird I chased, wasted right much time on him. I’d been better off chasing a different bird.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 12:46:03 PM »
Hung up, tough gobblers are fun. I will resort to natural woods noises. Scratching leaves with the proper cadence has brought in the toughest gobblers I’ve hunted. Wing beating in the leaves, and if I call, it’s soft feeding purrs. Gobblers that are hung up also can break to a fighting purr. I always have 2 pushpins for this. Finally, pattern his moves, once you know where he is, call, then crawl up towards him to close the distance. Don’t worry, your crawl sounds like a moving Turkey. The terrain dictates this. If he is behind a knoll or hill, this works. You may be surprised, the Tomato head may pop up right in gun range. Patience will get him. Be safe, good luck…
“Solo hunter”

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 06:34:37 PM »

Thank you.  I didn’t notice that I had omitted the “up”.  As for the “loud and hot”, I usually start by whispering and turn it up until he tells me that he definitely likes what he heard; I then shut up and let him begin to ponder why I didn’t show up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:16:19 PM by silvestris »
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 09:34:48 AM »
Hung up, tough gobblers are fun. I will resort to natural woods noises. Scratching leaves with the proper cadence has brought in the toughest gobblers I’ve hunted. Wing beating in the leaves, and if I call, it’s soft feeding purrs. Gobblers that are hung up also can break to a fighting purr. I always have 2 pushpins for this. Finally, pattern his moves, once you know where he is, call, then crawl up towards him to close the distance. Don’t worry, your crawl sounds like a moving Turkey. The terrain dictates this. If he is behind a knoll or hill, this works. You may be surprised, the Tomato head may pop up right in gun range. Patience will get him. Be safe, good luck…
Scratching leaves has worked really well for me.  I try to mimic pecks and intermittent foot steps.  If he has hens with him all bets are off.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Gentry

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 10:48:25 AM »
Belly crawl