OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sp10 red dot  (Read 6091 times)

Offline va_gobbler_chaser

Re: Sp10 red dot
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 05:12:39 PM »
Well i got the Meadow creek mount and it sits way too high for me, like end of chin weld on both the bps 10 and my bps 12. It is going on my son's 870 with the steadygrip stock, great cheek weld with it and the Meadow creek. Both the bps' are duel purpose guns, so i have no interest in altering the stocks, which would require at least a 1/2 comb rise. Not a knock on the mount itself, which i think is nicely made, just sits way to high for me to be usable on my guns. Unless the comb has been raised, i don't see how anyone is getting a decent sight picture. I had to raise my head 3/8 to 1/2 off the stock of either gun to get dot centered in my vision. Just a heads up on my experience with it, if you have a higher comb, it should work great. Oh well, back to fiber optic sights i guess.

I mean I get it but you don't need a cheek weld when shooting with a reflex red dot.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 07:52:34 AM »
Well i got the Meadow creek mount and it sits way too high for me, like end of chin weld on both the bps 10 and my bps 12. It is going on my son's 870 with the steadygrip stock, great cheek weld with it and the Meadow creek. Both the bps' are duel purpose guns, so i have no interest in altering the stocks, which would require at least a 1/2 comb rise. Not a knock on the mount itself, which i think is nicely made, just sits way to high for me to be usable on my guns. Unless the comb has been raised, i don't see how anyone is getting a decent sight picture. I had to raise my head 3/8 to 1/2 off the stock of either gun to get dot centered in my vision. Just a heads up on my experience with it, if you have a higher comb, it should work great. Oh well, back to fiber optic sights i guess.

I mean I get it but you don't need a cheek weld when shooting with a reflex red dot.
You do if the red dot has any amount of parallax to it. And the Fastfire does have some parallax to it. Is it enough to matter? On a shotgun, maybe, maybe not. I just don't like not having my head down on the stock of any gun i'm shooting, and that's just my personal preference. It just feels too awkward. I really do think the Meadow Creek mount is a good mount. It just didn't work for me on my Bps' raised rib, which is a personal preference, and not a knock on the mount. Like i said before, it works awesome on the 870 with the flat rib. If i were setting up the Bps for dedicated for turkey hunting, i would have just raised the comb a bit and been perfectly happy with it.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 07:10:51 AM »
On several different turkey guns with FF3's or other similar style red dots, I have used the GodaGrip shotgun cheek riser stick on pads. I have had one on a Benelli Steady Grip for at least 10 years and it has held up. They are cheap and can be removed if wanted. Just an option for guys that are having issues. It also helps with cheek slap during recoil.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline Turkeyjak

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »
I have a SP 10 in bottomland camo that I use for fall turkey I used Williams slugger sights for years then I bought a Holosun 507 with Sumtoy base had local gunsmith drill tap best thing I ever did.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2021, 06:23:28 AM »
Sounds like a great combo. Love those Sp10's in bottomland!