News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why do you use a 10 gauge?

Started by mcw3734, May 07, 2020, 01:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

I use a 10 ga. because they don't make an 8 ga.!  :TooFunny:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

I use a 10ga. mainly because when I started turkey hunting in '81 as a kid, it was THE step up to serious turkey medicine. But being 11 years old I couldn't buy one. The only info I ever got about turkey hunting was articles in F&S or Outdoor Life by Ben Rogers Lee, Dick Kirby, or Jack Dudley and they all spoke of the Ithaca Mag-10. Nobody I knew had a 3" 12ga. back then, everyone had fixed choke 2 3/4" 12ga. guns. It's funny to look at old gun catalogs now and the only 3" models were 'waterfowl' guns with fixed chokes. I bought a H&R 176 10ga. in Feb. of '86 just in time for that spring season. It almost doubled the range of my turkey shooting compared to my 2 3/4" 12ga. shooting whatever high brass ammo I could find. That H&R fixed full choke is only .740" and really is more of a modified or imp. modified in performance at 40 yards but with those 2 1/4 oz. shells there was plenty of shot to get the job done. I never had any desire for a modern 12ga. 3" chamber with screw chokes then or now. I still own the H&R, got a Spanish SxS that Briley threaded with a .720" and .705" extended tubes, a BPS Hunter model with 26" barrel, and my all time favorite-the Ithaca Mag-10 Supreme grade that I fixed up with a Rem SP-10 barrel that I bought from a member here (used to be the cheapest and easiest way to get the screw in choke option). I've been actually kicking around getting the H&R's 36" barrel threaded just for old time's sake and take it out hunting again.

Tom007

Years ago, in the 90's, I got an interest in the mighty 10 gauge. My first turkey gun was an 1100 12 gauge Magnum. I decided to buy a Remington SP-10 with a 26 inch barrel. I loved the gun, it patterned well. Since I always do a lot of running/gunning in Northern NJ, NY, and PA, it became a bit cumbersome to carry. I sent the gun to Mark Bansner and had the barrel cut down, Rifled sights installed tapped to the barrel, and a Turkey/Predator choke system installed. This was a great gun, with the shorter barrel, a bit lighter. Then the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3.5 12 gauge came along. It was light, stream-lined, and cycled smooth. I decided to buy one, the Satin Walnut, Satin finish model the year it came out. I still have this gun, and added another SPE camo steady grip turkey model to my collection. I now use the Walnut model for Waterfowl hunting. I do regret selling my SP-10. Even though it was heavy, it was a turkey duster. I plan on adding another 10 gauge to my fleet. I miss it.......
"Solo hunter"