OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Let's Talk Scoring  (Read 2648 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Let's Talk Scoring
« on: March 08, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »
I don't have any idea how many of our team members are familiar with the scoring system used for the contest so let's talk a bit about that.  Even if all of us are familiar with the system, there are some common errors made in taking measurements.  We'll talk about those, too.

To preface these comments, let's be clear that this contest is "just for fun".  Nobody should take it too seriously, but if we are going to participate as a team, let's also make our best effort to do our individual parts on behalf of the team. At the end, we can compare how we did with the other teams involved. 

First of all, you will need these three items to score and document your gobbler properly:  1) a flexible measuring tape, 2) a good weighing scale, preferably digital, and 3) a camera/phone that will take good, clear pictures.

The scoring system is based on three measurements we each need to take when harvesting a gobbler, and importantly, each measurement must have clear, detailed pictures that have to be posted to the team kill thread.  The total score is the added totals of these measurements:
Weight + Beard length (X2) + spur length (both added together X10)

Weight:  If you do not already have one, get yourself a good, hand-held digital scale.  These are pretty inexpensive and can be purchased at a local store or ordered online from a variety of sources.  Most are referred to as "fish scales" and can be found in the fishing section of places like Walmarts and such.  I do not recommend the "spring-type" scale as accurate measurements are difficult to get from those.  You can use a bathroom scale as an alternative, but again, the digital-read type is best if you go that route. 

Beard:  Proper beard measurement is taken from the tip of the longest hair of the beard to the base of the beard sheath where it meets the skin of the breast, NOT from where the hairs protrude from the beard sheath, and NOT with the measuring tape just pushed up against the breast.  Our pictures showing the proper placement of the tape at the bottom of the beard sheath and also showing the tape measurement at the tip of that longest beard hair are critical.  Birds that are haphazardly measured and photographed will be disqualified in the scoring.

Spurs:  Spur measurements are the most-often-done-wrong element in scoring gobblers.  This is a tricky one.  Each spur is properly measured along the outside of the curvature of the spur all the way to a point even with the "deepest" point where the spur protrudes from the "scales" of the leg.  A lot of people put the tape against the leg and measure the straight-line distance to the tip of the spur.  This is incorrect,...and if you measure your spurs this way, it can cost you significant points in your total score.  Remember, the total length of both spurs added together is multiplied by ten in the scoring system.  Make sure you know how to take these measurements correctly, and again, make sure you take good, clear photos of the spurs showing the tape properly placed and with the measurements clearly shown and verifiable.  If a more detailed explanation is needed, or a diagram shown to demonstrate proper measuring, let us know. 

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

Re: Let's Talk Scoring
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »
Beard:  Proper beard measurement is taken from the tip of the longest hair of the beard to the base of the beard sheath where it meets the skin of the breast, NOT from where the hairs protrude from the beard sheath, and NOT with the measuring tape just pushed up against the breast.  Our pictures showing the proper placement of the tape at the bottom of the beard sheath and also showing the tape measurement at the tip of that longest beard hair are critical.  Birds that are haphazardly measured and photographed will be disqualified in the scoring.

Does the beard have to be measured still attached to the bird? I always pluck my beard and then tape it. Could see why this would be questioned as I can obviously use a beard from a different bird but I'm an honest guy and just how I typically do it...
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 02:55:05 PM »
Good question.  To start with everybody should review the rules for the contest as posted by Shannon.  Those are in the 2021 contest section under the 2020 contest rules heading.

I don't see anything that says the beard has to be attached to the gobbler when being measured. Same with the legs and spurs.  However, a picture of the hunter with the gobbler and with the score sheet visible and readable in the picture is a requirement, or at least has been in the past.  Personally, I would try to take all the pictures of the various parts with the entire bird intact.  That will eliminate any questions on whether "replacement parts" were used in the required pictures.

Let's face it,...the entire contest is run on the honor system.  Anybody that really wanted to cheat could do so.  On our team, let's just make sure all of us keep things honest.   :icon_thumright: :D

Offline ManfromGreenSwamp

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Let's Talk Scoring
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »
So we won’t really have a score sheet, just the pics will suffice?

EDIT:
Disregard. Just found it under rules section.
Don’t know how I read over that the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“First one to the carcass gets the most”
-T.Farley

“I’m livin ta rest, I was born tired”
-B.Button

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 04:57:25 PM »
Does the beard have to be measured still attached to the bird? I always pluck my beard and then tape it. Could see why this would be questioned as I can obviously use a beard from a different bird but I'm an honest guy and just how I typically do it...

I have received information from an old teammate indicating that all the measurements need to be taken without removing any parts from the bird.  That would also suggest that the pictures should clearly show that said parts are still attached. 

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »
I was assuming such. Not a problem.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 06:59:07 AM »
For those that are looking for a scale to use I picked this one up a few years ago and it is both cheaply priced and works well. I compared it with my butchers scale and it was +/- .1 lb. difference every time we compared them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50KG-Digital-Travel-Portable-Handheld-Weighing-Luggage-Bag-Scales-Suitcase-U9E5/384007461133?hash=item5968a0d90d:g:CGsAAOSwkSZgRs22
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:38:35 AM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 02:55:47 PM »
Okay guys, we have a couple of team members that have shot birds, so let's go over this one more time.  First of all, READ THE 2021 CONTEST RULES ABOUT PICTURES AND SCORING. It is right above the section where all the teams are listed.

POINT ONE:  Team members must post their own pictures!. You cannot have another team member post your pictures for you. 

POINT TWO:  Read the original post above for scoring and pictures!  The measurement pictures have to be very clear.  In measuring the spurs and beard, the pictures have to clearly show the tape from the base of the beard or spur to the tip!  If there are any doubts about measurements in the pictures, they will be disqualified.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 06:33:57 AM »
I bought one of these for doing the spur, hope they are legal to use for this?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »

Sure, that would be legal for measuring spurs,...IF applied correctly and the spur happens to follow the curvature of that measuring tool.  Unfortunately, that is pretty unlikely.  All spurs,...and in fact, most spurs,...are not "created equally".

The absolute best measuring device for spurs is a simple fabric or narrow, flexible metal tape that will easily conform to the spur shape and curvature.  Granted, it is not real easy to take a picture while holding a tape on a spur properly if you are trying to do it by yourself.  It can be done, but if you have someone else that can take the picture while you hold the tape (or vice-versa), it is much easier. 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »

Sure, that would be legal for measuring spurs,...IF applied correctly and the spur happens to follow the curvature of that measuring tool.  Unfortunately, that is pretty unlikely.  All spurs,...and in fact, most spurs,...are not "created equally".

The absolute best measuring device for spurs is a simple fabric or narrow, flexible metal tape that will easily conform to the spur shape and curvature.  Granted, it is not real easy to take a picture while holding a tape on a spur properly if you are trying to do it by yourself.  It can be done, but if you have someone else that can take the picture while you hold the tape (or vice-versa), it is much easier.
I won't have anyone along most times and figured with my hand issues it would work much easier. Oh well

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

John Koenig: