turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

connor hard earned youth season bird

Started by turkeyhunter91, April 03, 2021, 10:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

this year is connors last year of being able to hunt youth season and he said he really hoped he would have some luck. we started well before daylight and didn't hear any gobbles on the farm we was on but i managed to call 2 jakes in with my trumpet and had a tom across the cliffs gobbling to it pretty good. we stayed on that farm till around 10. we was headed to another spot when i see a tom in a pasture field we can hunt so we made a big loop and got set up but it was a bust and not hearing anything else we went on, next spot was a bust also. my family was having a cookout today at 12 and by this time it was 11:30. i said we can check 1 more farm out the road from here and if no luck we will go eat and visit for a bit before getting back after them. we pulled up to the gate and there was a hen crossing the road and 2 more down in the field. i said i bet there is a tom close. i parked and crossed the gate where i hit my tube call and 1 gobbled a couple hundred yards away in another field so we took off and got set up. they ended up being 2 and was responding pretty good, at 1 time i could hear them drumming. 1230 came and we hadn't heard anything for a bit so i looked at connor and said we better go you know how your mommy is when she gets hungry haha, he said yeah we will come back in a bit. so we went and ate and visited a hr or so and went back out. as we pulled back in a tom was about 150 yards in a fence row so i backed up and we went down the fence and set up. he never would commit and just kept feeding. after he went out of sight i hit my trumpet again and the 2 original birds started responding about every time to it but wasn't getting any closer. we got in the truck and decided to drive out past them and make a circle on them to see if anything would happen. they was standing farther over the hill than i thought and was only about 30 yards off the road but i just kept driving and it didn't spook them very much. after finally getting around to where i wanted to be i set the decoys out and went to calling. after about 10 mins they pop out in the field across the holler about 250 yards away. they strutted around for a bit but i could tell they wasn't gonna come. i looked at connor and said if they go right and head over the hill we maybe in business but if they go left were gonna make a move. there is a drain coming down the field that we could run to when they went over the hill and would be out of sight, i told him as soon as they go out of sight pull the decoys and we will leave them here, when they went over the hill that is what we did and as i was covering the decoys up they popped back out but luckily we was in the shadows in the edge of the wood line. soon as they crossed back over we trotted down to the drain and couple hundred yards up it to the top of the hill. i had a feeling where they would be and i told connor belly crawl to that big tree in the edge and ill be right behind you. we eased up to the tree and looked out. about 125 yards over the hill stood 2 toms in the shade and the hens had went down to the end of the field. i went to calling and they gobbled then headed our way and after a hard day of hunting at 4:45 he filled tag #1 for the year. 23 pounds 4 ounces, 10 in beard and 1 in sharp spurs.i was also able to get it on film. sorry about it being so long but there was a lot building up to the shot.

Yoteduster

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

the Ward

Mathews.1

3bailey3

owlhoot

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Sounds like a good hunt, congratulations young man on your gobbler.

jmart241

Vintage