OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why can’t they make it 3.5 inch

Started by Tom007, April 07, 2021, 07:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

These days, gunsmiths can pretty much do anything to a turkey gun. Lengthen forcing cones, back bore barrels, cut down barrels and add choke thread capabilities. I always have wondered why they can't take a 3 inch gun, and make it capable of handling 3.5 inch shells? I know there are reasons, so I was hoping to learn why? Thanks...
"Solo hunter"

Deputy 14

The problem isn't the barrel, it's that's the receiver of the gun is 3". Barrelwise you'd have to cut a sloped area of the barrel and would create a thin spot I'm sure.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

FL-Boss

receiver, loading gate, plus other would need a lot of fab... wouldn't make sense. Plus, most guys that have 3.5in capable guns shoot only 3in when turkey hunting anyway. This is especially true for anyone over 40.. no pleasure in shooting that cannon. Plus, I know all my 3.5in 12ga from the past used to pattern 3in loads better.  But I only shoot 20 and .410 now..

Tom007

I figured there were many reasons, thx for info.....the 3.5 are nasty loads....
"Solo hunter"

bbcoach

The barrel and receiver have to be machined to accommodate a 3 1/2.  You can engineer and machine a barrel and receiver to 3 1/2" standards and shoot 3 and 2 3/4 but not practical or cost effective to go the other way.  Many factors included, receiver length, receiver ejection port opening, recoil spring strength, slide length and chamber and barrel machining are only a few things required.  IMO, if you think you may like to shoot 3 1/2's, either turkey or duck and goose loads, then buy a 3 1/2, you can go down in shell length, if you like.  Once a gun is engineered and machined for shorter length shells too many factors to go up.   

BandedSpur

And then there are the pressure limits. SAAMI max for 3.5" is 14,000 psi, for 3" - 11,500.