OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: optics on long-recoil operated semi-auto  (Read 1265 times)

Offline fleasmokey

optics on long-recoil operated semi-auto
« on: April 01, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »
has anyone had any experience mounting a red dot on a long-recoil operated semi-auto shotgun? I'm toying with the idea of putting a red dot on a .410 11-48. I'm good with the bead, but I like red dots... I think the options I've seen are drill and tap the receiver, speed bead, or a rib mount? would there be any issues with a red dot losing zero recoiling back with the barrel?

Offline diyj98

Re: optics on long-recoil operated semi-auto
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:30:26 PM »
I don't think you'd have problem with it losing zero, but you could have some reliability issues with the added weight on the barrel. I'd feel more comfortable with the receiver drilled and tapped or the Speed Bead.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 07:20:22 PM »
I know the Trijicon RMR is considered one of the best Glock red dot sights and that recoils with the slide on every shot. People put tons of rapid shots on them with 9mm, 40 and 45 with no troubles. With the very few shots per year out of a turkey gun I'm sure you will be fine.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »
I’ve had good luck with the TRS-25. Have it mounted on a Savage single 3” gun and it’s held up fine.
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life