OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ready for youth weekend  (Read 1352 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Ready for youth weekend
« on: March 31, 2021, 09:09:43 AM »
This Saturday and Sunday are our youth weekend here in VA, my youngest is ready to hunt both days  ;D.  Not sure we will as you have to have written permission from the landowner in our state to hunt on Sundays and you can only hunt private on that day as well.  Anyhoo, we will see.  I lucked across a box of Winchester AA .410 target loads last week for cheap online and grabbed up a box so we could practice hunting positions and get him used to how he would shoot hunting versus off a rest like we did when we patterned the Rossi I got him (fantastic gun BTW).  Went out Monday and he shot from the ground off shooting sticks, off his knee and from a chair off shooting sticks and he did great, we didn't shoot past 30 yards as I knew these 2 1/2" target loads were going to fall way off past that and I'm not comfortable with him taking a 40 yard shot just yet.  He grasped where the red dot needs to be really well, I printed off some turkey targets and put a orange dot where the head meets the neck so he had a point of reference and hit his mark everytime.  I told him a real turkey isn't going to have this orange dot but just remember where the feathers end and the neck begins is where I want you to put the dot.  Pretty excited to see what Saturday brings now that he's the one behind the gun.  On a side note he did mention to me that the gun wasn't kicking as bad anymore, I knew it was because we were shooting a 2 1/2" target load vs the 3" tss load but I just told him that he had shot enough that he was getting used to the recoil.  Prayers sent a turkey cooperates Saturday. 

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Ready for youth weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »
Good luck to you and your son. Enjoy the time, they grow up quick.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 11:18:45 PM »
Best of luck

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 09:48:52 AM »
Good luck Jim!  Glad yall found some shells to practice!  Sounds like he is ready.  Keep us updated.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer