OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: For those who have used JEBS chokes  (Read 4420 times)

Offline WTNUT

For those who have used JEBS chokes
« on: March 30, 2021, 10:13:06 PM »
I don’t have one to sell or a pattern to post a pic of,  so here we are.  I am buying some chokes to try in a new gun.   I just looked at JEBS,  and saw they are $100 per tube.  Now,  I have been doing this a while and there is a huge difference in choke tubes.  Sometimes a cheap tube works great in a gun and at times the more expensive tubes work better.  I seem to think it is like putting $100 down on black in Vegas.   What I want to know is how many of you have bought one and loved it and how many have bought one and just didn’t seem to do that well regardless of what shell you tried.  As posted in another section this evening,  I bought an Indian Creek recently that couldn’t kill anything at 40 yards with Federal TSS,  but almost shot too tight of a pattern at 40 with Heavy-18 TSS.   Again,  tubes seem to be a huge gamble.

Offline Gmed

Re: For those who have used JEBS chokes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
Look at some of the pattern pictures in that section. I have only used the 20 gauge models, but currently have a .565 Mobil thread and a .570 Remchoke thread. I also have Sumtoy .562 in both thread patterns. I would hunt any of the four and keep the extras just as backups. I use the .570 in a 21” barrel 870 and the .565 in a 24” barrel Affinity. Both will throw 235-240 in the 10” @ 40 yds using Federal TSS #9s. Shop around for other than retail prices on Jebs. Mid south Shooters Supply or Centerfire Guns had some deals on them....

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 11:44:17 PM »
I am a choke junkie. I probably have 35 or more chokes for all different guns. I just enjoy running different rounds through different chokes to see what different guns like. I love setting up a friend with a new gun and we take my chokes out to the range and see what his gun likes. probably crazy but I just like it.

That said I hunt a Jebs in my Winchester 1300. For years my old school Mark Banser Truglo was my favorite
until I picked up a Jebs. Thats not to say that they will be great in all guns but I know mine likes it. Is it worth 100$ i cant say. But is a turkey shell worth 10$ I doubt it but we all have paid it.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 07:26:25 AM »
Look at some of the pattern pictures in that section. I have only used the 20 gauge models, but currently have a .565 Mobil thread and a .570 Remchoke thread. I also have Sumtoy .562 in both thread patterns. I would hunt any of the four and keep the extras just as backups. I use the .570 in a 21” barrel 870 and the .565 in a 24” barrel Affinity. Both will throw 235-240 in the 10” @ 40 yds using Federal TSS #9s. Shop around for other than retail prices on Jebs. Mid south Shooters Supply or Centerfire Guns had some deals on them....

Thanks

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 07:26:54 AM »
I am a choke junkie. I probably have 35 or more chokes for all different guns. I just enjoy running different rounds through different chokes to see what different guns like. I love setting up a friend with a new gun and we take my chokes out to the range and see what his gun likes. probably crazy but I just like it.

That said I hunt a Jebs in my Winchester 1300. For years my old school Mark Banser Truglo was my favorite
until I picked up a Jebs. Thats not to say that they will be great in all guns but I know mine likes it. Is it worth 100$ i cant say. But is a turkey shell worth 10$ I doubt it but we all have paid it.

Which choke works best for you

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 07:40:01 AM »
Its really not a matter of what you or I like but rather what your particular gun likes in a choke & shell combination. I have shot Jebs chokes for many years now, first in a Browning BPS and now in a SBE 2. If your interested in trying a Jebs, as well as other manufacturers, I would suggest that you call them and tell them what you have and what you want it to do and they will advice you as to which of their chokes is best suited for your gun and shell combination. It's still a gamble but speaking to the manufacturer will give you somewhat  better odds of being successful. Nobody knows more about their chokes than them regardless of all the opinions you might find here on OG.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »
Its really not a matter of what you or I like but rather what your particular gun likes in a choke & shell combination. I have shot Jebs chokes for many years now, first in a Browning BPS and now in a SBE 2. If your interested in trying a Jebs, as well as other manufacturers, I would suggest that you call them and tell them what you have and what you want it to do and they will advice you as to which of their chokes is best suited for your gun and shell combination. It's still a gamble but speaking to the manufacturer will give you somewhat  better odds of being successful. Nobody knows more about their chokes than them regardless of all the opinions you might find here on OG.

I agree entirely,  and do that with every top end choke I buy.  But,  in reality they normally have someone who just answers the phone or an e-mail that is working off a chart.  That is not always the case.  I emailed Sumtoy late last night and Bill responded this morning.  But,  even after talking to them it is still a bit of a gamble and it is NOT their fault.  For reasons not entirely known to me,  you are right it isn’t what I like, you like or the manufacturer likes,  it is what the gun likes and that is fun to figure out.  I just wish it were not such an expensive hobby lot.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 02:40:03 PM »

I agree entirely,  and do that with every top end choke I buy.  But,  in reality they normally have someone who just answers the phone or an e-mail that is working off a chart.  That is not always the case.  I emailed Sumtoy late last night and Bill responded this morning.  But,  even after talking to them it is still a bit of a gamble and it is NOT their fault.  For reasons not entirely known to me,  you are right it isn’t what I like, you like or the manufacturer likes,  it is what the gun likes and that is fun to figure out.  I just wish it were not such an expensive hobby lot.
Your right, the only way I know to cut your losses is to purchase several that you think might work, shoot them all until you find the one your gun likes and keep it. Sell the others here on OG  below your cost and have fun doing it.  At least this way you will reduce your expense and have the satisfaction of knowing that you have the best choke/shell combination for your particular gun.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 06:30:32 PM »
I ordered a .660 off Amazon today for my 12 ga.  I tried several times to reach someone at Jebs for their recommendation,  but never got anyone to answer nor did they return a call.  And,  unless I missed something they don’t take emails. 

Offline pdaugherty

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 03:10:16 PM »
I have shot many different chokes over the years in many different guns and gauges. For years I ran a Kicks GT .665 in my 11-87, 21 in barrel with #6 HEVI-13. The gun and choke combo loved that shell, when i made the switch to #9 TSS 5-6 years ago I bought a JEBS .655 and haven't looked back. It consistently puts high 290 + in the pattern and has killed lots of birds.

If I'm running my youth model 870 I shoot a .555 JEBS, it loves #8 TSS. This took some shooting to figure out but once i did I knew that was the combo for it. My M2 20ga 26in barrel prefers the .560 JEBS with #9s. If I shoot #8s out of it then I will run the Carlson .573. Why there is such a difference I don't know but the gun shoots that way. Hope this helps and good luck this spring

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 11:58:49 PM »
I have shot many different chokes over the years in many different guns and gauges. For years I ran a Kicks GT .665 in my 11-87, 21 in barrel with #6 HEVI-13. The gun and choke combo loved that shell, when i made the switch to #9 TSS 5-6 years ago I bought a JEBS .655 and haven't looked back. It consistently puts high 290 + in the pattern and has killed lots of birds.

If I'm running my youth model 870 I shoot a .555 JEBS, it loves #8 TSS. This took some shooting to figure out but once i did I knew that was the combo for it. My M2 20ga 26in barrel prefers the .560 JEBS with #9s. If I shoot #8s out of it then I will run the Carlson .573. Why there is such a difference I don't know but the gun shoots that way. Hope this helps and good luck this spring

Thanks have had similar inexplicable results with other gun choke combos.  Did you try more than one size jebs in any gun.   I ordered the .660 and was thinking of getting the .640 or .665 to try as well because to me there is no rhyme or reason regarding which one a gun likes best.

Offline captfire

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
 IF YOU ORDER A JEBS FROM THEM AND YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY IT SHOOTS CALL AND TELL THEM THEY WILL SENT YOU THE ONE YOU WANT TILL YOU GET THE ONE YOU LIKE IF NOT BOBBY WILL SEND YOU YOUR MONEY BACK THEY ARE GREAT TO DEAL WITH...

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
Shooting Jebs chokes in three Berettas. (12g and 20g) They are the best I have found particularly shooting Fed TSS and Hevi 7’s. I was done buying chokes after purchasing Jebs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:09:43 PM by Longshanks »