OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby SA-459 Bolt Handle

Started by ads1, March 31, 2019, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullfan

I have two and they are both the full camo version.  Will continue to run the braided fishing line on both.  Guns only are shot 6-8 times in the spring, so it is no big deal.
Don't gobble at me...

DrDirtNap

Mine is the full Realtree camo version and it started blowing the bolt handle out about three years ago.  I've talked with Weatherby several times. They say they've redesigned the bolt handle to fix the issue but they've sent me the new bolt handles and they are no different then the old ones.  I just talked with Weatherby again a few days ago and they told me the same story so I asked them to send me another bolt handle.  We will see but I don't have any high hopes that this "new" bolt handle will be any different then the old ones.  This bolt handle issue may not be a big deal to some of you but it's a deal breaker for me.  Other than this issue I really like the gun but if I can't get this fixed I'll be moving on to a different gun. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross R

Mine was bought in 2018 and I have not handle the fly off.  I know of 2 guys that had maybe 2016-2017 full realtree guns and both had them fly off. 

Fullfan

Quote from: DrDirtNap on March 07, 2021, 08:58:34 PM
Mine is the full Realtree camo version and it started blowing the bolt handle out about three years ago.  I've talked with Weatherby several times. They say they've redesigned the bolt handle to fix the issue but they've sent me the new bolt handles and they are no different then the old ones.  I just talked with Weatherby again a few days ago and they told me the same story so I asked them to send me another bolt handle.  We will see but I don't have any high hopes that this "new" bolt handle will be any different then the old ones.  This bolt handle issue may not be a big deal to some of you but it's a deal breaker for me.  Other than this issue I really like the gun but if I can't get this fixed I'll be moving on to a different gun. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you receive the New and Improved bolt handles ?  if any change ?
Don't gobble at me...

Andy S.

Can someone post of a photo of the fishing line attached to the bold handle? I purchased a 2020 model SA-459 and have been getting it setup. Trigger leaves a lot to be desired and now I am worried about losing the handle in the miles of mountains and hills I walk during turkey season.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

FL-Boss

I wouldn't worry about loosing the handle by just walking, maybe after a shot - take a look and make sure it's there.  I have had (2) of these SA-459.. the older style and new style, never had an issue with the bolt handle.

Andy S.

Andy S.

Rockhound

Quote from: Andy S. on March 28, 2021, 01:24:10 PM
^^^ Thank you for the reply.

I just bought one myself, waiting on it to get here

Andy S.

Quote from: Rockhound on March 30, 2021, 06:54:51 AM
Quote from: Andy S. on March 28, 2021, 01:24:10 PM
^^^ Thank you for the reply.

I just bought one myself, waiting on it to get here

Bought mine last year and just now getting around to tinkering with it. I have it setup and sighted in, but the trigger will have to be addressed. Not a fan of creep in a trigger and mine has a fair amount on the front end before it breaks. Other than that, seems like a solid compact gun to hunt turkeys with. The first autoloader I have ever owned, as I am a pump guy at heart. Time will tell.
Andy S.