OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester double x 410  (Read 9129 times)

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
Re: Winchester double x 410
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »
Just picked up a box, local Cal Ranch had them for $13. In these times its hard to pass on any box of 410. Will probably use for small game.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 04:04:58 PM »
I was able to get 2 boxes of  Winchester .410 Double X , 7.5 shot. I patterned it through a Winchester 42 with a fixed full choke. It is no more than a 25 yard turkey gun/ shell combination.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 11:51:32 AM »
I was able to get 2 boxes of  Winchester .410 Double X , 7.5 shot. I patterned it through a Winchester 42 with a fixed full choke. It is no more than a 25 yard turkey gun/ shell combination.
X2.
I tried it in a yildez single fixed full. Any old .410 load with 7 1/2 lead does just as well. Some better.
25 yards tops.

Online Kygobblergetter

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »
It was easily a 30 yard load out of my rossi tuffy turkey and tristar viper g2. 30 and in I wouldn’t hesitate. That being said when I’m hunting I’ll probably be loaded with tss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 08:45:31 PM »
Would any of you guys wanna sell the empty box that the shells came in ? I like collecting turkey shell boxes

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 10:25:17 PM »
It was easily a 30 yard load out of my rossi tuffy turkey and tristar viper g2. 30 and in I wouldn’t hesitate. That being said when I’m hunting I’ll probably be loaded with tss

And I honestly think that any serious turkey Hunter would do the same. My buddy loads a 2-1/2” load of 6’s that I’m sure would work outta most guns to 25 yards. I’ve got some 3” 5’s that would definitely work out to 25-30 yards. Some would feel good about it. I’d prefer some “cushion” personally. But then having spent the majority of my youth using a 22 WMR, it’s made making the switch to a shotgun difficult at times. I’ve got no problem waiting for them to get into shotgun range. Most of what I’ve killed has been well within. And with tss doing what it does, most of the birds I’ve killed have been WELL WITHIN shotgun range. Matter of fact, I just picked up a Savage 24 in 22 hornet/12 gauge combo. Got it mainly for foxes but once I figure out the hold over for the 12, it’ll likely see turkey time as well. Likely use the hornet for the most part because there’s just something about shooting the head off a bird up close with a rifle that excites me more than using a shotgun but I’m still very much wanting to kill one with a 410.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 05:55:48 AM »
IMO -  if using a .410 use the best TSS you can find.  No worse feeling than seeing one run off after you think he should be flopping.  I jumped on the .410 bandwagon before last season.  To date 4 birds down but all within 30 yards using my Savage 301 with Jebs Headhunter choke.  Again only IMO but the lack of a quick follow up shot if using the single shots makes this even more critical.  The big birds deserve no one going cheap if they can help it.  Think of how many you know that can accurately, in the heat of "battle", distinguish 30 from 35 yards.  I have a box of Federal #6 lead I use for on target sight checks with a red dot sight.  Not impressed.  Not sure I'd even use them for squirrels ( even though they have a squirrel pictured on the box LOL).  7 1/2 may do better - don't know - can't find any.  Really glad I grabbed two boxes of Apex TSS 9 1/2s when they were available.  Even with them I'll try and stick with 30 yards.  Just old school on that.   :turkey2:

Offline bonasa

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 06:17:28 PM »
I have an INVESTARM O/U and shot a few birds years ago with the REMINGTON PREMIER11/16 ounce shells they patterned good at 25 yards, 30 was pushing it same with the 1/2 ounce shells. The new(er) 3/4 WINCHESTER SUPER X shells that come in 25 rounds are my go to for woodcock and the occasional grouse or pheasant over pointers, no problems. I wouldn't pay for just the copper plating and 25$/10 is way over priced. Grab a box of the WINCHESTER SUPER X in 7.5's 3" 3/4 oz for turkeys and pattern your gun but it'll kill out to 30 yds with a factory full.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
Old thread but decided to add my $.02.  Although I am going to use Federal #9 TSS this spring I found some of Winchesters XX 3/4 oz. 7 1/2 shot turkey loads at a gun show on Saturday.  When the weather gets better I will pattern them and see how they do.  I hope they surprise me but would not bet on it.  We will see.  If they don't shoot to expectations I will probably use them for rabbits.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 05:14:15 PM »
I will add mine as well, I patterned a bunch of 7.5 3 inch, Remington, Federal and Winchester from my single barrel and O/U I use for pheasant and dove.

Pathetic, 25 yards is max, I am in awe that I ever killed a dove or pheasant with that O/U, but I used it exclusively when I had a bird dog and rarely missed a Pheasant!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »
Old thread but decided to add my $.02.  Although I am going to use Federal #9 TSS this spring I found some of Winchesters XX 3/4 oz. 7 1/2 shot turkey loads at a gun show on Saturday.  When the weather gets better I will pattern them and see how they do.  I hope they surprise me but would not bet on it.  We will see.  If they don't shoot to expectations I will probably use them for rabbits.
UPDATE-  Tried the Win. XX.  To be honest they patterned horribly.  I could use them for cottontails out to 20-25 yards and that would be pushing it.

The Federal TSS 9's were really good.  In excess of 50+ hits in the head and neck of a standard HS Strut turkey target at 30 yards. Good 40 yard shell IMO. Those are what I am using.  Really amazing.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Turkbuster

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 11:47:56 PM »
Winchester XX .410 Mossberg 500, Pattermaster choke 25 yards

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2022, 10:53:07 AM »
Been trying to find these locally. Bass Pro has them periodically apparently, but the second I set foot in there they are gone. Starting to think one of the employees are snapping them up.