OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 16 gauge search  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Mkeller

16 gauge search
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:00:11 PM »
Been looking for quite a while now for a choked 16 gauge, preferably a browning bps.  I missed out on one around a year ago on gunbroker and haven't found one since.  I prefer a pump gun for overall reliability.   Are16 gaugesvhard to find because not many made because wasn't a popular choice or once people get one they keep it?  Any advice were to look or any input is appreciated.

Offline Mkeller

Re: 16 gauge search
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »
I have also considered a remington 870 but all I'm finding have fixed choke barrels.  Wanting a gun with choke tubes and not sure how to know if the barrel could be threaded or not.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:15:19 AM »
Most of the 16 gauge guns are going to be fixed choke guns. You may want to consider buying one and having it threaded for tubes. Lots of companies do this including Sumtoy on this site, just ship them the barrel.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline Mkeller

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike.  Wasn't sure if any barrel could be threaded.  Most I'm finding are a modified barrel.

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »
 I hunted for a 16 gauge for a long time. Look for a Remington 870 express youth 16 gauge. These are factory threaded for choke tubes, vent rib barrel, light, and the youth come with a 23" barrel which seems to do well as a turkey gun. Comp n choke make a factory 16 gauge turkey choke and iv seen that sumtoy will make 16 gauge Remington chokes too. The biggest thing holding the 16 gauge back is load choices if you don't reload. I load my own and the 16 throws impressive tss patterns. If my only option was 1oz factory lead field loads id choose something else.

Offline Mkeller

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »
Appreciate the information.   I handload tss for my 28 and 20 gauges but have always wanted a browning bps 16 like my 28.  I've about lost hope to find one, so starting to look at other 16.  Even considered a over and under like the stevens 555.

Offline justin_wv

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »
Just find one with a fixed full choke. It'll do plenty well with TSS.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
I set up a new Browning Sweet 16 for Turkey. It has the DS Choke system. Briley made me a .600 Extended Turkey choke. I put the Mossy Oak Graphic kit on the stock. It has a Burris Fast Fire 3 mounted on a Meadow Creek mount. I patterned it with Apex TSS 7.5. Does real good out to 40 yards. The gun is super light. Can’t wait to tote it this spring….Another option for the 16…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 10:14:31 AM »
We have threaded the Rem barrels in the past.  Just mailed one back this week.      Now as in new we see some O/U's and the tri star.    We have the chokes and the mounts for all the set ups.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline topnotch

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 09:43:32 PM »
I found an 870 16 Gauge. William at Sumtoy said he could thread it, but I bet I don't hunt till next year.
My question is the barrel is 28 inches, I like to downsize it.
Rather than going this route, does anyone know if there is an after market drop in barrel for 26 gauge Remington 870s ?

Offline Painter

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
My 51 model 870 16ga.  has a poly choke which has been great for over 50 years. Problem the poly choke does not like TSS. Shoots low left #8 , my #8 Remington shells shoot great out to 35 yards, Poly set on full Choke. Although not as many pellets, I'm still getting 40-50 pellets in the head and neck. I bought TSS  just to see how they would shoot out of the Poly and I'll never do that again. I shot TSS  at 45 yards and pellets wouldn't penetrate the 3/8" ply board. Heavy shoot ripped the ply board up.

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
A good gunsmith can correct the point of impact on that poly-choke. With the poly-choke, did you try several of the other settings to try to dial in the TSS?  Normally, the poly-choke with adjustments to determine what that barrel prefers will shoot with the best of 'em.....