OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

B&P

Started by btomlin, February 18, 2021, 09:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

Has anyone sent any of the B&P turkey loads down range?  I was on Rogers site last night and saw they had 4,5,6 in stock.  It appears they contain nickel plated shot.  I remember shooting Activs when I started years ago in my 20 and they were producers with the nickel shot.  I was just curious if anyone had any good/bad experience.

Tom007

Quote from: btomlin on February 18, 2021, 09:31:55 AM
Has anyone sent any of the B&P turkey loads down range?  I was on Rogers site last night and saw they had 4,5,6 in stock.  It appears they contain nickel plated shot.  I remember shooting Activs when I started years ago in my 20 and they were producers with the nickel shot.  I was just curious if anyone had any good/bad experience.

I sure wish those Activ's were still available. I used to shoot their 12 gauge nickle 5's, 3 inch shell with 2 1/4 oz of shot. Devastating out of a .660 Gobblin Thunder tube. They had a wad that in my opinion was the predecessor to the flight control wad Federal uses. I only have 4 shells left. All red shell, Red Box Activ Penetrator. Kent bought Activ I heard. They have a TSS 15 gram load called Penetrator, I have no info on. Sorry to go off thread, will look up those B&P....thanks
"Solo hunter"

btomlin

Quote from: Tom007 on February 18, 2021, 09:41:06 AM
Quote from: btomlin on February 18, 2021, 09:31:55 AM

I sure wish those Activ's were still available. I used to shoot their 12 gauge nickle 5's, 3 inch shell with 2 1/4 oz of shot. Devastating out of a .660 Gobblin Thunder tube. They had a wad that in my opinion was the predecessor to the flight control wad Federal uses. I only have 4 shells left. All red shell, Red Box Activ Penetrator. Kent bought Activ I heard. They have a TSS 15 gram load called Penetrator, I have no info on. Sorry to go off thread, will look up those B&P....thanks

I always thought they had the nicest lookin' hull.

Tom007

Yes, clean and simple. I would buy a case of them if I could.......
"Solo hunter"

btomlin

I got a box of the B&P turkey loads.  I needed another $7 for free shipping from Rogers so I tossed em in my "cart".

I will say the 1st thing I noticed was the "weird box".  The shells are single stacked vs double stacked like every other box of turkey loads I've purchased....those nutty Italians(B&P is an Italian co).  LOL.

The hulls are maroon and I can't tell if they are buffered or not.

Once the snow melts, I will fire a couple and let you know the results.

Tom007

Love to see the results...
"Solo hunter"

Bald Randy

I just patterned B&P turkey loads - 12 gauge 3" 2oz. #5 and 3" 2oz. #6 - through an Ithaca factory turkey choke (.675").  I bought them because, like Tom007, I found those old Activ nickle plated 5's to pattern beautifully and hoped the B&P's would do so as well.  I also patterned 12 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR 3" 1 7/8 oz. #5's for comparison.

At 25 yards, the B&P #5's performed the same as the Long Beards, each with 70 plus pellets - evenly spaced around the point of aim - in the head and neck.  Surprisingly, the B&P #6's had no more hits than the #5's.

At 30 yards, the B&P #5's had 35 hits in the head and neck, and the Long Beards had 50 plus hits in a tighter pattern.

In my gun, the B&P shells patterned better than any copper plated loads that I have used in the past, except for the Long Beards.  At about $1 per round, I find these shells to be the equal of the old Activ Penetrators in performance and value.  I'm really glad that B&P came out with them.

b wilt

I have them in #5's and #6's, they do well out of my 1187 12 Gauge and that weird box will go in your back pocket like a wallet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the Ward

Looks like a quality made shell by it's appearance. Thanks for the info shared by the posters.

Tom007

Quote from: Bald Randy on April 02, 2021, 03:58:12 PM
I just patterned B&P turkey loads - 12 gauge 3" 2oz. #5 and 3" 2oz. #6 - through an Ithaca factory turkey choke (.675").  I bought them because, like Tom007, I found those old Activ nickle plated 5's to pattern beautifully and hoped the B&P's would do so as well.  I also patterned 12 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR 3" 1 7/8 oz. #5's for comparison.

At 25 yards, the B&P #5's performed the same as the Long Beards, each with 70 plus pellets - evenly spaced around the point of aim - in the head and neck.  Surprisingly, the B&P #6's had no more hits than the #5's.

At 30 yards, the B&P #5's had 35 hits in the head and neck, and the Long Beards had 50 plus hits in a tighter pattern.

In my gun, the B&P shells patterned better than any copper plated loads that I have used in the past, except for the Long Beards.  At about $1 per round, I find these shells to be the equal of the old Activ Penetrators in performance and value.  I'm really glad that B&P came out with them.

Thanks for the info my friend. I will check them out. Good luck this season....
"Solo hunter"

lowoctane

Well, I can't find any to purchase... :TrainWreck1:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Bald Randy

A few weeks ago, I got my #5's at Rogers Sporting Goods and then found #6's at Natchez Shooting Supplies.  They are out of stock now and I don't know if they will restock for this season.  It might be worth a call to them and find out.

lowoctane

:morning:
Thanks! checked them both and nadda... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

btomlin

Thanks for posting results!  Every day that I can do some testing, the stupid wind is cranking!  I still plan to test them out and will post results, but sounds like a good economy load.  I know B&P pheasant loads are thumpers. 

btomlin

I was able to do some testing today with my Carlson .665 choked gun.

The B&P 5s did not do anything special.  Out of my setup, they were a marginal 40yrd round.  I had better results with Remington nitro 5s and have a good secondary round to try this Spring.  My "tried and true" LB 6s were devastating as usual.