OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 new barrel  (Read 1716 times)

Offline adeichold

Remington 870 new barrel
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:26:35 PM »
I am considering getting a 20” smooth bore slug barrel with factory adjustable iron sights and getting it threaded for a choke. Does anyone see issues with doing this? Seems like it would work fine. Thanks

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Remington 870 new barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »
Seems a little odd to me.  I thought that either you had a rifled barrel or a rifled screw in choke on slug barrels.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline adeichold

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:53:22 PM »
Oh, I should clarify. I will use this for birdshot - turkey hunting. Sorry

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:09:38 PM »
Remington made a slug barrel with adjustable sights that had a rifled screw in choke. Don't know if you could find one. It is a factory barrel that would only need a Turkey choke.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:41:10 PM »
Remington made a slug barrel with adjustable sights that had a rifled screw in choke. Don't know if you could find one. It is a factory barrel that would only need a Turkey choke.
I have one. It came with a Rem. rifled choke from the factory and adjustable rifle sights. I use several turkey chokes in it. My favorite is the Remington .655 Ventilator and old Federal Premium 3 inch 2 oz. 7 1/2 shot.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:33:22 AM »
I have one. It came with a Rem. rifled choke from the factory and adjustable rifle sights. I use several turkey chokes in it. My favorite is the Remington .655 Ventilator and old Federal Premium 3 inch 2 oz. 7 1/2 shot.
:morning:
Been down this road. When Rem made their barrel for chokes they would have the business end bulged slightly to accept their chokes, so if you try and thread their smooth bore barrels you’d not have enough metal for threads. They did make like already stated a short barrel with sights and set up for chokes and if you want to pay for the privelage they are still around.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life