OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: turkey bacon burgers  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
turkey bacon burgers
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »
This is a favorite way to use the leg meat in my house.  You'll need some sort of meat grinder.  The bacon and bacon fat hold the burgers together.  Doesn't hurt the flavor either.

A mature tom will yield about 2 lbs of leg meat cut from the bone.  Cut that up into small chunks about an inch or so in any dimension.  Take about 12 ounces of bacon, fatty is good, and also cut that up about the same size.  Add to the turkey meat on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. This helps when you grind.  Coarse grind the turkey and bacon.  At this point I add in a couple of tablespoons of dry rub spices and blend the mixture, either by hand or with the mixer.  I use Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks (like a Montreal Steak seasoning).  Make into patties, figure about 8 6 oz patties.  There are never any leftovers when we make these.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:51:18 PM by Rapscallion Vermilion »

Offline MDSTRUTNRUT

Re: turkey bacon burgers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
NOW I'M HUNGRY, every year I save some thighs and legs and plan on cooking them but end up using them for crab bait so we will give this a try if lady luck shines on us.   I use bacon ends when we make deer bologna and it's pretty fatty.  Thanks for finding my weakness  FOOD!

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »
I'm salivating. Thx.  :happy0064:

Online ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
I shot a bird yesterday and I plan on doing this with the thighs and the legs. Thanks for the idea.

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »
This is what I'm having for fathers day supper. minus the bacon
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline Luigi Daniele

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »
This is a favorite way to use the leg meat in my house.  You'll need some sort of meat grinder.  The bacon and bacon fat hold the burgers together.  Doesn't hurt the flavor either.

Looks great! Awesome username, BTW

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 08:41:15 PM »
This is another I will save, low carb/low sugar diets make recipes hard to find for me. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."