News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Feathers vs vanes Question

Started by Woodsman4God, May 26, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Hi guys,

Currently I use a whisker biscuit and I am thinking of switching to feathers with a Helical on them, the question is can you use vanes with a helical twist on them in a biscuit or would you have to switch the rest also as i would if I used feathers.

lightsoutcalls

I've never used a biscuit rest, but have heard they will tear the feathers up over time.  I haven't used feathers either, but love my QAD drop away rest.  This is a full containment rest, so it likely wouldn't take much getting used to compared to your biscuit style rest. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Arrowhead

To answer your question. The helical feathers will work fine throught the biscuit. When feathers go through the biscuit they lay dow. Just like running your fingers across them.  Give them a go.

captpete

Yes you can use helical fletched vanes through a WB. Like mention above, feather will also work. They will get frayed on the edges, but a torn feather will still stabilize very well.

MizzouOutdoors

"Yes you can use helical fletched vanes through a WB. Like mention above, feather will also work. They will get frayed on the edges, but a torn feather will still stabilize very well."

x2

bcc2011

I wouldn't use a whisker biscuit because 1 it slows your arrow speed and kinetic energy down and 2 it affects your arrow flight. If you need a rest that holds your arrow than try out the qad rest, full containment and its a drop away but to answer your question yes you can use feather vanes because they collapse.
Brother Custom Calls

savedbygrace

As others have said, yes you can. I actually used a WB a few years ago and also shot feathers with helical. You can also put a dab of fletching glue on the front of the feathers (where the front of the feather meets the arrow shaft) and this will give you a little extra hold up for the front portion of the feathers..which is sometimes the common area of a fletching that gets damaged over time when going through a WB.

I shoot a limbdriver rest but for "runnin and gunnin" bowhunting for turkeys you can't beat a WB.

WyoHunter

I prefer vanes but to each his own.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: bcc2011 on March 13, 2012, 11:12:04 PM
I wouldn't use a whisker biscuit because 1 it slows your arrow speed and kinetic energy down and 2 it affects your arrow flight. If you need a rest that holds your arrow than try out the qad rest, full containment and its a drop away but to answer your question yes you can use feather vanes because they collapse.

Speed loss is minimal(a couple fps max)..And I doubt that few FPS effects KE AT ALL(less then a half a percentage point)..As far as being detrimental to arrow flight..Its actually form flaws an the shooter that is the issue..The WB rest is not forgiving of poor form,torque,lack of follow through or bow arm dropping on the shot..If you put a WB rest and most any other drop away or prong or whatever on a bow an shoot it through a shooting machine..There all just as accurate as the other..And all speed will be within a few fps of each other..I am not a machine so the WB did hurt my accuracy  at times...

To the OP yes you can use feathers an helical..I was not a fan of feathers through a WB...The Norway 2inch predator duravanes worked  well for me in a WB rest ...There the stiffest vane I ever touched making them durable and there cheaper then the competition for the most part...I know use a Bottom limb driven Trophy Take smackdown full containment..With either 2inch feathers or predator vanes..The smackdown is super bullet proof built,easy to set up an you dont have a cord tied into your cable(which is a huge plus IMO) 
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

MOStrutter

I would get rid of the whisker and fletch your vanes however you want with out any worries.  If you are looking for a cheaper, full containment rest that is super quiet than I would go with the NAP Apache rest.