OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anybody take headshots with normal non bullhead style broadheads?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Bobby5

I was gonna take my bow this year and was curious if anybody goes for a headshot with a non magnus bullhead style broadhead. I’ve seen a lot birds lost with body shots and figured it’s a kill or a miss with a head shot. What would be the best broadhead for a head shot besides a bullhead etc.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Anybody take headshots with normal non bullhead style broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
That would be an extremely tough shot imo. I use a rage hypodermic but I shoot them where the wing joins the body.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 04:03:26 PM »
No..... I use 4 blade mechanicals in the body. They go about 20 after the shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 04:04:51 PM »
Tag me so I can answer with proper name when I get home. I do not remember name now.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sungrazer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 03:14:35 PM »
Although I just use my normal size 3 blade broadheads for a vital shot, I would highly recommend the bulkhead or similar width broadhead for a shot at a constantly moving Turkey head shot.

Offline NEWYORKHILLBILLY

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »
The head is a bigger target than most people think.  about 3"   vitals in the body are not much bigger. I have considered this shot,  but have not tried it. Most the time the head is moving around a lot . If the bird is in full strut then that head does not move as much and you might have a better chance.. I think if you want to head shoot them then the bull heads are the way to go. personally I  haven't had that much luck with the bull head.Failed to recover two birds with them. I switched back to gobbler getters.  This year I doing better this year I recovered 3 of the 4 birds shot so far. I love bow hunting turkeys,But in the beginning I think I would rush the shot and take longer shots. After losing some turkeys and getting sick about it.I went back to gun hunting.  This year giving bow hunting another run but I am trying not to shot unless I get them in at 15 yards or closer. I killed a lot of gobblers with a bow, But I have still not taken a long beard in my home state of NY with a bow.  I hope that this will be the Year season opens Saturday.

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 09:02:49 AM »
When I still turkey hunted with a bow I usually shot head or neck. The last 1 I killed with my bow was a neck shot with a rage 2 blade.

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
I took a turkey the other day with an NAP gobbler getter. Through one breast and out the other with the front part of the leg also being hit. It went into a dead log behind the turkey. It didn't even make it 8 yards. It flapped a few times (which was the majority of the distance) and expired.