Started by Holtbensley, March 25, 2021, 08:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtbensley

Wondering what's going on down in TN heading down opening weekend
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Gmed

Lots of very high wind, storms and quarter size hail in parts of the eastern end of the state today. Hail probably big enough to kill one if it hit it just right. Turned the roads white and accumulated fast....we have had plenty of rain. This coming Thursday before the opener, a cold front and below freezing temps thru Saturday. Highs Thursday in low 40s compared to mid and upper 60s over past couple weeks. Probably shut them up a few days.....

Holtbensley

I thought this weekend coming up looked promising I may be wrong though
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Gmed

Extended forecast for the northeastern end of the state says 24 degrees Friday morning and 28 degrees Saturday (opening day) morning. High in low 40s Thursday, low 50s Friday and near 60 opening day. Looks like warming up to near 70 by beginning of next week...

AppalachianHollers

Had a few gobbling on the roost beginning about 4 minutes past what would be "shooting time" this morning. Was a clear morning, real owls hooting, but still no gobbles before shooting light. Never heard any hens. One wouldn't shut up for 30-45 minutes.
Never saw any in fields, just in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwampChickenSC

Heard a few gobbling this moring shortly after shooting time.  It's fixin' to be a cold evening camping along side the river here in East TN on Friday evening
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Holtbensley

Hoping they're doing it good this weekend
CRUSADERS

[/img]

SwampChickenSC

Quote from: Holtbensley on March 30, 2021, 12:04:32 PM
Hoping they're doing it good this weekend

It was an unusually quiet opener where I was at.  Didn't hear the first gobble until 11:30 am
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Holtbensley

We shot these two longbeards Saturday evening. They was the only two responding to calling in the morning but wouldn't break and come in. Had to wait for them to come back to the ridge they roosted on.

CRUSADERS

[/img]

JMBknvc

::) Gonna ask, what is the gobbling report look like currently in southeastern mountains?

Meeting family from Florida for a weeklong trip in the mountains next week. PM with info instead of posting. 

CALLM2U

Quote from: JMBknvc on April 14, 2021, 09:41:27 AM
::) Gonna ask, what is the gobbling report look like currently in southeastern mountains?

Meeting family from Florida for a weeklong trip in the mountains next week. PM with info instead of posting.

I'll send ya my $0.02

AppalachianHollers

I mean, it's just a gobbling report no? Why keep it private?
To each their own.

Properties vary, but where I go they haven't yet reached that point in April where they stop gobbling in the morning.

JMBknvc

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 14, 2021, 10:10:11 AM
I mean, it's just a gobbling report no? Why keep it private?
To each their own.

Properties vary, but where I go they haven't yet reached that point in April where they stop gobbling in the morning.

Gobbling just in the tree a couple times or gobbling good in the tree and on the ground?

Some people would say it's cyber scouting and get all ... ... ..

AppalachianHollers

On a piece of public adjoining private yesterday, a jake on public gobbled once in a tree, but the 3 gobblers on private didn't shut up for an hour. My guess is in the mountains which of the 2 patterns is more indicative will depend on whether you're the guy who drives the gravel road with the window rolled down, or walks down a walking only forest service road a good ways to listen.

JMBknvc

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 14, 2021, 10:58:11 AM
On a piece of public adjoining private yesterday, a jake on public gobbled once in a tree, but the 3 gobblers on private didn't shut up for an hour. My guess is in the mountains which of the 2 patterns is more indicative will depend on whether you're the guy who drives the gravel road with the window rolled down, or walks down a walking only forest service road a good ways to listen.

I'm the later, walking down the closed forest road where others stop. Then walks out through the woods to the ridge top. Waiting to see the first hints of light and the woods to come alive.