OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where to find strikers?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Spark352

Where to find strikers?
« on: March 30, 2022, 04:09:32 PM »
Recently received my first scratch box. I've been practicing for a while and am able to get some pretty good notes out of it. I'm wondering where to purchase additional strikers? I don't really have the skills/capacity to make my own. I'm wanting to try a few different kinds of wood, shapes, and sizes. Just want to try a few to see if there is one out there that fits my style/form better.

Thanks

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Where to find strikers?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:31:10 PM »
look up crgamecalls on ebay,,,,,,,,, and  than check brookside  game calls website. both places have alot of different strikers

Offline richard black

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 08:12:16 AM »
It’s also fun to make your own. If you have a bandsaw and belt sander you can purchase a variety of small blanks of different woods from various suppliers. It takes about 10 minutes to make one.
 You are now on your way to having the scratch box fever. The only cure is buying more! Trust me, I know!????

Offline RH1

• Red Hills Turkey Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
Pm me...heck I'll stick some in an envelope to ya!
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Offline Spark352

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 02:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I can definitely see the appeal of a well-tuned scratch box. I've got a SS Custom field grade ??Kwila & Cedar. Been practicing nonstop since I got it trying to build up some confidence before heading to the woods with it. I'm hoping the uniqueness of the sound will be the ticket for some public land birds in the future.

Offline RH1

• Red Hills Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 03:05:32 PM »
Limba (w&b) cedar, purpleheart, ebony, rosewood, redgum, persimmon, jatoba, leopardwood, marblewood and sycamore and cherry.

Different sizes as that can have an affect on sound as much as wood species.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 03:14:41 PM by RH1 »
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 10:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I can definitely see the appeal of a well-tuned scratch box. I've got a SS Custom field grade ??Kwila & Cedar. Been practicing nonstop since I got it trying to build up some confidence before heading to the woods with it. I'm hoping the uniqueness of the sound will be the ticket for some public land birds in the future.
I have several different scratchers, including an SS.  They are the only makers I have come across that (at least on mine) requires a curved striker.  My other scratchers use a flat scratcher, but my flat scratchers will not work well on my SS call.

Maybe they changed their designs since I purchased mine?  But I would call them first off.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Spark352

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 04:08:45 PM »
My SS scratch box sounds good with the provided striker but I do feel as if a rounded striker would be a little easier to get the sounds I'm looking for. The flat striker seems to be very particular on angles. Being new to scratch boxes, maybe they are all like that?