turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommendations on a mouth call

Started by EasternGobblerHunter69, March 24, 2021, 03:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasternGobblerHunter69

Ok anybody's input would be nice I like the primos ghost cut blue, wood haven Scott Ellis new energy houndstooth diamond x , another words a fairly easy to blow versatile call with clear front end raspy drop off? Heard bout gooserbat? Recommendations appreciated!
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!

rakkin6

Gooserbat are good but I order them uncut from him due to the shape he uses with his cuts. They don't fit my mouth quite right so I cut them myself.

Longbeard Life (small company but good)
Foot on Da Head
Hooks
Cane Creek
Sadler McGraw
Woodhaven Toxic Orange and Red wasp
Houndstooth

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Meleagris gallopavo

In no particular order:  Sadler McGraw, Gooserbat, DC Custom Calls, Hooks, and Pinhoti project. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Snood Life

ChesterCopperpot

Started running a Gooserbat "Soul Sister" this year and won't go back to anything else.

GobbleNut

No offense intended to anyone here in this discussion, but every time one of these "what mouth call do you use?" threads comes up, I feel like I must always insert this qualifier,...and point out that it is mostly intended for the new or less-experienced mouth call users:

Most everybody has different "mechanics" in how they run a mouth call,...and especially the new guys that are just learning.  Buying mouth calls on the advice of another guy that uses a certain brand with a certain design is most likely to be an exercise in frustration. 

Simply put, each of us has to go through the process of learning what call design works best with our own personal mechanics.  In addition, all of us "evolve" over time in learning to use mouth calls.  What works well for a beginner or intermediate mouth call user will very likely change over time as the call-user learns to control things like air flow and volume, and tongue placement and manipulation, and the like. 

Nobody,...even very experienced mouth call users,...should assume that because another guy can run a certain call design well, that someone else will be able to run that call design the same way.  It just does not work that way! 

Finally, unless you get really lucky, no two mouth calls,...even of the same brand and design,...will sound exactly the same.  There are too many, very slight variables in the call construction process that impact the sound of a call. 

The bottom line is that everybody has to go through the learning process of what mouth call design(s) work best with their own mechanics.  Making the presumption that just buying a mouth call that some other fellow runs well is the solution to becoming a good mouth call user is pure folly.   :icon_thumright:

rakkin6

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 24, 2021, 09:10:28 AM
No offense intended to anyone here in this discussion, but every time one of these "what mouth call do you use?" threads comes up, I feel like I must always insert this qualifier,...and point out that it is mostly intended for the new or less-experienced mouth call users:

Most everybody has different "mechanics" in how they run a mouth call,...and especially the new guys that are just learning.  Buying mouth calls on the advice of another guy that uses a certain brand with a certain design is most likely to be an exercise in frustration. 

Simply put, each of us has to go through the process of learning what call design works best with our own personal mechanics.  In addition, all of us "evolve" over time in learning to use mouth calls.  What works well for a beginner or intermediate mouth call user will very likely change over time as the call-user learns to control things like air flow and volume, and tongue placement and manipulation, and the like. 

Nobody,...even very experienced mouth call users,...should assume that because another guy can run a certain call design well, that someone else will be able to run that call design the same way.  It just does not work that way! 

Finally, unless you get really lucky, no two mouth calls,...even of the same brand and design,...will sound exactly the same.  There are too many, very slight variables in the call construction process that impact the sound of a call. 

The bottom line is that everybody has to go through the learning process of what mouth call design(s) work best with their own mechanics.  Making the presumption that just buying a mouth call that some other fellow runs well is the solution to becoming a good mouth call user is pure folly.   :icon_thumright:
Very true there are some calls I can't run and not that they are bad calls. I have issues with Legacy, Tom Teasers and Preston Pittman. Like I said they are not bad calls just don't fit my mouth right.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

MDTOM84

Meleagris gallopavo

I agree wholeheartedly.  I purchased many mouth calls of different cuts from the maker's I mentioned to narrow down what works best for me.  They're cheap enough to do that.  A beginner pack is probably the best route to start with from the makers mentioned here.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  I worked through different latex and proph combinations until I narrowed the list down "some".  It's good to find a maker that can talk you through some of the questions you have about mouth calling and work with you on modifications that you may find work best for you.  I'm about done looking for new mouth call makers after this year.  I've found which cuts, frame and tape sizes, and latex and proph combos that I run easily that sound right to me.  It takes a lot of time and experimentation, at least for me it has.

btomlin

I just got my "grab bag" of calls from Gooserbat.  I'll definitely be buying more in the future.  Good "low risk" way to try out his calls!

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: btomlin on March 27, 2021, 08:54:22 AM
I just got my "grab bag" of calls from Gooserbat.  I'll definitely be buying more in the future.  Good "low risk" way to try out his calls!
You did good!

WTNUT

:z-winnersmiley:

:z-winnersmiley:   I was about to type the same thing and tell the poster to try many different manufacturers and see which works best for him. 

Gooserbat

I get a lot of good press on OG and I'm thankful for all my customers and their support.  I will say I agree with Jim, try different calls.  I do believe that the best mouth calls are built by the smaller call companies with a single call builder. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

acesand8s

I use cane creek....the cc smoker is what I have used to kill all my turkeys this year. 

EZ

I've been using Billy's from on here (Perrytrails) for a while now and I love them. I really like the tension he has them set at and they don't "blow out" like so many other calls.