OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: H.S. Strutt World Champion Triple Glass Call?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline old3toe

H.S. Strutt World Champion Triple Glass Call?
« on: March 23, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
  Hey guys I was out and about the other day and ran into a couple of vintage H.S. Strutt World champion triple glass pot calls priced very reasonably. I've never seen one. I'm pretty big on glass calls and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these and if they like the sound of them. I'm no call expert but I've never heard of a triple glass call. Would there be any collector value to these if left in the package?
  He also had an old primos pot call I'm not even sure what it was and a couple old knight and hale tube calls. The little plastic snuff tube style calls. I've never seen the little knight and hale tubes.

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: H.S. Strutt World Champion Triple Glass Call?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 08:39:15 PM »
My brother runs a triple glass and has used it for over 20 years now. The only pot call he ever uses. As far as value some of the older calls are bringing a premium on ebay right now. Just depends on who's bidding.
Jim

Offline old3toe

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:36:05 PM »
 Thank you for the information Bedge.

Which Gun

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
Lucky find I have one and love it. Wish I could find another one. When the twisted sister doesn’t work the HS does. Raspy sounding

Offline old3toe

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:34:42 AM »
 Thanks Which Gun

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »
  Hey guys I was out and about the other day and ran into a couple of vintage H.S. Strutt World champion triple glass pot calls priced very reasonably. I've never seen one. I'm pretty big on glass calls and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these and if they like the sound of them. I'm no call expert but I've never heard of a triple glass call. Would there be any collector value to these if left in the package?

A fellow named Mike Dreisbach started making the first glass calls back in the early 80's. The were called "Custom Turkey Calls" out of Hagerstown, Md. He had a double glass (glass/glass) and a triple glass (glass/glass with three fiberglass pads on the soundboard). Matt Morrett won the World Friction Championship at age 16 with the triple glass.

When Custom Turkey Calls broke up, Mike began building the same calls for Perfection. Matt went on later to work for HS Strut, and soon they had a "triple glass". Not sure of the exact design, but those pads do give it a lot of rasp.

Just a little history, lol.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:24:28 PM »
  I had no idea about any of that E Z. Thanks so much for sharing. Very cool history behind them.

Online mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 08:32:06 PM »
Ez, so 2 sound boards with pads in between?

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 08:44:43 PM »
This post reminded me of some calls I recall my dad having stored away in a tote. I stopped by and dug them out today out of curiosity. There were indeed a couple Triple Glass calls in there and one of them is a double slate over glass.

When I was growing up, we didn’t get into turkey hunting much. From what I can remember, there weren’t many of them around here in Indiana back then either. So my dad had bought these back then for us to try it. Then 7 or 8 years ago I found this site, bought my first custom calls, and have had the itch since. Sure brings back some memories pulling these old calls out again though!

Offline Jbird22

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 10:12:01 PM »
I had the one on the right probably 25 yrs ago. I have no idea where it is now though.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 07:09:09 AM »
Ez, so 2 sound boards with pads in between?

Yep, that's how the ones from "Custom Turkey Calls" and later, Perfection were built.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 09:10:40 AM »
  I went and got the two triple glass calls yesterday. Great pics talk in turkey. They're the one on the far right. I also noticed how much more they weigh than any other pot calls I have are. Seem much heftier.

Which Gun

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 05:29:20 PM »
Congrats enjoy them. I enjoy mine.