OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Polychoke and tss  (Read 1830 times)

Offline hunter85

Polychoke and tss
« on: March 23, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
Does anyone know if it is safe or can be/ have been shooting tss through a polychoke. I have a Sears semi 20 that has had the barrel cut to 18 inches and a polychoke installed that I’m looking to gift to my granddaughter.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Polychoke and tss
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 01:47:09 PM »
I’d never be handing it to my daughters and saying here go see if this is safe. Don’t chance it. Buy her a new gun

Offline hunter85

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »
Oh I would definitely be shooting it first before I ever gave it to an 8 year old! Figured I would ask before looking into having it removed and threaded.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 05:33:39 PM »
Don’t take my word as absolute but that’s an old gun and set up. I’d just not chance it when guns are so cheap many times. I mean at 8 years old she needs a youth gun anyhow. Gun should fit her.

Offline hunter85

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
The gun is a Sears M300 branded Winchester 1400 semi-auto that had been cut to youth lengths 13.5 lop back before they marketed youth size guns I also have a Springfield 840 30-30 that I plan on gifting her as they were the first guns bigger than a .22 is the reasoning behind asking this question. And I have no issues having the barrel threaded just also see no need in spending that money if it’s not needed.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:13:57 PM »
The gun isn't that old and will handle any turkey load except maybe nitrous just fine.  As far as the poly choke, have a gunsmith look at it and see what he says. If not set too tight I'm sure it would be fine as well, there's just the possibility of accidentally tightening it too much and blowing it out with tss as is can "slug" due to being so dense and hard. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »
So shoot lead ammo in it instead of tss? Lead ammo will kill a turkey just fine at normal turkey hunting ranges.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 06:36:15 AM »
The gun is a Sears M300 branded Winchester 1400 semi-auto that had been cut to youth lengths 13.5 lop back before they marketed youth size guns I also have a Springfield 840 30-30 that I plan on gifting her as they were the first guns bigger than a .22 is the reasoning behind asking this question. And I have no issues having the barrel threaded just also see no need in spending that money if it’s not needed.

Having a barrel threaded though costs money. That same money for a thread job and choke might need to be considered against the low cost of another new gun already set up.