OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Is Sounding Like a Real Turkey Overrated?  (Read 9161 times)

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Is Sounding Like a Real Turkey Overrated?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2021, 05:41:28 PM »
I'll still take my chances on trying to sound like as real of a hen as possible, or a Jake or gobbler

Oh come on, you know we all need one of those frequency generator apps to call turkeys.     LMAO.

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2021, 07:02:46 PM »
I'll still take my chances on trying to sound like as real of a hen as possible, or a Jake or gobbler

I heard you were trying to find a chuck big enough to turn bass drums, lol.

I need one of those big trumpets like Heidi uses up in the Swiss alps.  there is a new ostrich farm nearby and if one of those big bull ostriches escapes I want to be ready

Offline Jbird22

• Longbeard
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »
Is sounding like a real turkey overrated?
Yes!

The calls that work best for me don't sound like turkeys at all!  They call all the turkeys in not just Toms.

I've used rubber bands,  balloons, ocarina, Jews harp, a drum, a kalimba, chimes none of which sound like a turkey plus I have used an aluminum can, copper pipe, ceramic tile, the back of a mirror, an aluminum channel and other things that sound similar to turkeys. 

I posted elsewhere here about turkey hearing.  They don't hear what we hear.   

Some say turkeys aren't curious I say they are extremely curious and come to sounds because of curiosity. 

Turkey's hear turkeys all day every day.  They are creatures of sight and sound.  When they hear different sounds, they want to see whats making the sound. 

I've spent to many hours in the woods with a frequency generator app.  I've played ranges of frequencies that sound like something that you would expect to hear in an outer space movie and the flocks show up.  Some of the frequencies make tree frogs croak like crazy. 

Check this short video out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVrQypTa8oQ

That might be one of the greatest trolls I've ever seen in my 10+ yrs of being on this site. Well done sir!

Unless you were really being serious... :z-dizzy:

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2021, 10:37:21 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline ALSpurhunter

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2021, 12:00:45 AM »
You may not need realism to strike a gobbler but when you are trying to call him in, the more real the better