OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke and Shell?

Started by Hened up, March 22, 2021, 12:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hened up

Just bought a Rem. 870 Super Mag and was wondering what would be a good choke and shell combination?

g8rvet

Start here:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,256.0.html
My gun liked old Remington Hevi #6 with Hevi choke.  Son in law uses that choke with #5 Win Longbeard and it is impressive.  Lots of options.  Check that thread out and see what looks interesting.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Which Gun

Indian Creek .665. I'm shooting 3 1/2" longbeards #5's good pattern at 40. Patterned this weekend 3"double X 5's great pattern at 35. X 2 3/4 5's also good to 35. Of course 3" Federal tss 9's just loaded the paper up.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Another vote for Indian Creek .665

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lmbunch69

I shoot a .665 Indian creek also. Mine likes 3.5 double x #5. Not a crazy numbers pattern but super even and not like a slug at 20 yards

ShootingABN!

870 are awesome.

So I've found most like a .665. Some like .660 Indian Creek lots of people I know say their POI changed a lot with the IC chokes. Older Primos Jelly head, older HS undertaker...

I'd recommend calling William at Sumtoy and ask him to make you a choke for what ever load you want to shoot and go from there.

Good luck.