turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

winchester XX 3" #4 advice

Started by Mick2394, March 22, 2021, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick2394

I patterned my gun for the first time with these loads and i had bad results at 40, 20 yards wasn't bad but once I got some distance it REALLY opened up to the point I would never make a 40 yard shot. I'm using an 870 with a carlson's longbeard choke... I know people shoot these all the time with success so I know they work and I don't have a lot of options for shells around here
Semper Fi

tnanh

Looks like you were shooting left on the 20 yard pattern. you need to shoot at a larger target, at least 36 x 36 at 40. The rest of your pattern went somewhere and that will let you know where the rest went and how good the densest part may be a good pattern from a shotgun that isn't shooting point of impact to point of aim.

Mick2394

Quote from: tnanh on March 22, 2021, 04:36:35 PM
Looks like you were shooting left on the 20 yard pattern. you need to shoot at a larger target, at least 36 x 36 at 40. The rest of your pattern went somewhere and that will let you know where the rest went and how good the densest part may be a good pattern from a shotgun that isn't shooting point of impact to point of aim.
Ok I'll have to see if I have some cardboard big enough. I did order an adjustable rear sight so I can get that squared away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi

captpete

:welcomeOG:

Like mentioned above, use a bigger target to see where the rest of your pattern is hitting. The adjustable sight is a good start if your pattern is way off. When I pattern a load, I use a 4'X4' piece of cardboard, then use thumbtacks to hold a piece of 36"x36" carpenters paper(https://www.menards.com/main/paint/drop-cloths-plastic-sheeting/red-rosin-paper/trimaco-36-x-167-red-rosin-paper/3514520men/p-1444445227674-c-8063.htm?tid=-9208159107083786136&ipos=1). This lets you see your whole pattern and change the paper after each shot. When you get the new sight use target/dove loads to get the sight adjusted. You might want to try #5 shot...I get better patterns out of my 870 SPM with 5's over 4's or 6's no matter what choke / shell I'm using.

Mick2394

Quote from: captpete on March 25, 2021, 10:20:01 PM
:welcomeOG:

Like mentioned above, use a bigger target to see where the rest of your pattern is hitting. The adjustable sight is a good start if your pattern is way off. When I pattern a load, I use a 4'X4' piece of cardboard, then use thumbtacks to hold a piece of 36"x36" carpenters paper(https://www.menards.com/main/paint/drop-cloths-plastic-sheeting/red-rosin-paper/trimaco-36-x-167-red-rosin-paper/3514520men/p-1444445227674-c-8063.htm?tid=-9208159107083786136&ipos=1). This lets you see your whole pattern and change the paper after each shot. When you get the new sight use target/dove loads to get the sight adjusted. You might want to try #5 shot...I get better patterns out of my 870 SPM with 5's over 4's or 6's no matter what choke / shell I'm using.
Ok, got the sight put on yesterday and my plan was to actually use target loads first instead of wasting shells and I lucked into some #6 longbeard so I'm going to put some of those through it and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi