OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Burris FF3 Question  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Matt76cmich

Burris FF3 Question
« on: March 20, 2021, 06:31:40 PM »
I finally had some time to go pattern the new shotgun (Mossy 835) with the newnBurris FF3. 

Has anyone had any trouble with the zero moving around with the FF3 after almost every shot? It seemed to be bouncing around on me to the point my 20 gauge is gonna get the nod on opening day.

In the picture I put 3 targets side by side that were shot back to back with the same load and choke with running a bore snake between each shot. I was aiming at the waddle. Up and down seemed to stay the same throughout. I likely pulled on of them for the up and down,  but the left and right seemed to bounce around.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Burris FF3 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 07:08:22 PM »
Haven't had that issue with mine, but never say never. Are the screws that hold it to the mount tight? Had mine loosen a little when i had it mounted to my buckmark pistol and it moved the zero around till i found out and put a little locktight on them. Also check the barrel/mag cap. might be not tight enough allowing barrel to move a bit.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 07:18:52 PM »
Haven't had that issue with mine, but never say never. Are the screws that hold it to the mount tight? Had mine loosen a little when i had it mounted to my buckmark pistol and it moved the zero around till i found out and put a little locktight on them. Also check the barrel/mag cap. might be not tight enough allowing barrel to move a bit.
I'll have to check before I put it back in the safe.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:25:52 PM »
If the scope is where you want it on the pictanny rail but some BLUE Loctite on your red dot threads before tightening it onto the rail. This will secure it for sure, I have the exact same setup and no issues. Do NOT use the Red Loctite or you will never get it off. If that doesn't work you may have a defective scope. But just to verify it is nothing else I would check LOA/POI without the scope also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »
If the scope is where you want it on the pictanny rail but some BLUE Loctite on your red dot threads before tightening it onto the rail. This will secure it for sure, I have the exact same setup and no issues. Do NOT use the Red Loctite or you will never get it off. If that doesn't work you may have a defective scope. But just to verify it is nothing else I would check LOA/POI without the scope also.

Yep blue or purple locktight. also have used paint on a little hobby brush in a pinch. The screws that loosened up on mine were the two that hold the sight to the mount. almost missed it as i checked the mount itself and it was tight. Must have been the vibration from an extended shooting session and the bolt opening and closing. No issues since. Might just be the mag cap though, had an 870 slug gun that kept moving the zero and it turned out the mag cap was tight, but not tight enough and you could slightly twist the barrel with a little effort. 

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:14:28 PM »
Might have gotten a quarter turn if that

I'm using a Sumtoy mount that I used blue loctite on, I'll throw some on the screws that hold the FF3 on as well.

I will add that I'm using a bore laser shotshell deal to find my "zero" and for reference in the red dot moving.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000T405DY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »
Well hopefully the sight isn't defective, but if it is, Burris has a lifetime warranty. It would stink having to send it back this close to season though! Hope you can get it figured out. The 835 and fastfir3 is a great turkey hunting combo.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 01:19:45 AM »
Is you barrel locking nut TIGHT?  By tight, I mean as tight as you can humanly get it by hand and then using a pair of channel locks and a piece of leather or heavy nylon between it and the jaws giving it a couple more clicks while pushing down on the barrel with the butt of the gun on a solid surface?  I shouldn't have to say anything about the gun being unloaded I hope. Lol. You'd be amazed at how much poi shift you can have with a loose, or even just not TIGHT barrel...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:10:45 AM »
If you’re shooting the winchester longbeard shells, I’d look towards the shells more than the sight. I chased zero a couple times just like that before I realized that it was the shell itself having a different poi each shot. Went back to hevi shot, federal heviweight, and tss, and all my problems disappeared.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 10:25:32 AM »
What shell you shoot in them targets.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
If you’re shooting the winchester longbeard shells, I’d look towards the shells more than the sight. I chased zero a couple times just like that before I realized that it was the shell itself having a different poi each shot. Went back to hevi shot, federal heviweight, and tss, and all my problems disappeared.
I was shooting 3 different Longbeards and 2 different Hevi-13s.  I shot 5 3.5" LB #6 2 1/8oz loads in a row and saw left and right differences. I'm hoping it's not the shells since I have a lot of it, but I'm having a hard time finding the 3" LB #5 and of course they patterned the best lol.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »
What shell you shoot in them targets.   
3" LB #5
3.5" LB #6 2oz
3.5" LB #6 2 1/8oz

3" Hevi-13 7shot
3.5" Hevi-13 7shot

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
Ok I know the BIG back bore in them guns will walk the pattern with dove loads and such.    Check the barrel nut and the screws that hold the sight/base.   Now sometimes over choke guns will walk around. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 06:56:00 PM »
Ok I know the BIG back bore in them guns will walk the pattern with dove loads and such.    Check the barrel nut and the screws that hold the sight/base.   Now sometimes over choke guns will walk around.
Good to know. The 835 was a touch of an impulse buy, but after the little ones go down for bed I'll check the barrel nut.

Planning on getting out to shoot one more day this week and I'm gonna bring my back up to the back up gun to see how it does.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 09:41:04 AM »
Likely gonna have to wait until next week to get out shooting again as life is getting in the way of that.

One other thing I started thinking about fpr the day I shot, I was shooting straight into the wind, it was about a 15mph. Would that be something that would effect left and right of impact?