OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mississippi public land turkey hunting 2021  (Read 16787 times)

Offline bushwhacker

Re: Mississippi public land turkey hunting 2021
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2021, 06:39:52 AM »
Pressure doesn’t bother me. I’ve hunted my entire life on National forest, never on private, and the majority of the turkeys I have taken have been on the weekends when every other soul is hunting as well. Biggest competition, in my younger days was Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. There were some groups from each state that were always here. Heck I think they slept out there with the turkeys because you couldn’t beat them to the spots.  One can’t get mad because someone from another state hunts their turkeys. Their money pays as well as mine and really that’s all it boils down too. If I see a truck I just go down the road and come back when they aren’t there.

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2021, 06:54:23 AM »
We’re not bad folks , we are just misunderstood ????

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2021, 08:43:48 AM »
The Arkanswayers do the same thing in Missouri where I hunt, every year. Some of the most disrespectable hunters I have ever met.    Have had them drive 70 yds past my camp, park and get out and go hunting.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 09:36:47 AM »
The Arkanswayers do the same thing in Missouri where I hunt, every year. Some of the most disrespectable hunters I have ever met.    Have had them drive 70 yds past my camp, park and get out and go hunting.

I’m not sure how to interpret your post here, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and make some assumptions that you are serious.

In your line of thought, because you set a tent or a camper up, that it is disrespectful for someone to park near you and hunt?

On a serious note:
If you are at said camp and someone drives by at daylight, and you are making coffee or standing there at your camp doing whatever, how is someone supposed to discern whether you are even a hunter?

There’s been plenty folks in the Ozarks when I’ve hunted there that were just camping and riding horses, canoeing, or just whatever.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
Have not hunted Mississippi in many years but it sure sounds like it has changed from what I remember. Plenty of good hunting else where in the country where perhaps the competition and bad manners have thined abit. Too bad.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »
I have lived in MS my entire life. I’ve hunted turkeys for 40+ years and I believe that MS needs to change their season dates, limits and charge a premium for out of state licenses.

That being said, I don’t have a problem with out of state hunters but since MS opens weeks before surrounding states there is a mass influx of out of state hunters. I don’t currently hunt public land and I consider myself lucky I don’t have to deal with it. But if MS dept of wildlife doesn’t do something we will end up with population problems like some surrounding states.

Not all hunters (including the locals) obey the bag limits or respect the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mallard1897

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2021, 06:55:35 PM »
Playing devil's advocate, I'm curious how many hunters from states with early openers travel to extend their season after their seasons end.

Having said that, I would rather be the one with the last season open than the first to open. Not disputing any points made.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 08:30:51 PM »
I have lived in MS my entire life. I’ve hunted turkeys for 40+ years and I believe that MS needs to change their season dates, limits and charge a premium for out of state licenses.

That being said, I don’t have a problem with out of state hunters but since MS opens weeks before surrounding states there is a mass influx of out of state hunters. I don’t currently hunt public land and I consider myself lucky I don’t have to deal with it. But if MS dept of wildlife doesn’t do something we will end up with population problems like some surrounding states.

Season and bag limit needs changing bigtime
Especially season dates
April 1st would be about rite

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 08:45:56 PM »

Season and bag limit needs changing bigtime
Especially season dates
April 1st would be about rite
I agree. March 15 early and too cold. In central MS they are still mostly flocked up still. April 1 would be better

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 07:34:48 AM »

Agreed on all the above! April 1 through April 30th and a 2 gobbler limit is needed badly.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »

I’m not sure how to interpret your post here, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and make some assumptions that you are serious.

In your line of thought, because you set a tent or a camper up, that it is disrespectful for someone to park near you and hunt?

On a serious note:
If you are at said camp and someone drives by at daylight, and you are making coffee or standing there at your camp doing whatever, how is someone supposed to discern whether you are even a hunter?

There’s been plenty folks in the Ozarks when I’ve hunted there that were just camping and riding horses, canoeing, or just whatever.

It is well known that we are there to hunt, this will be my 29th year and my FIL's 40th in the same spot.   It was 0430 4 of us were standing around the fire just getting ready to walk from camp to hunt.  We had seen the same vehicle drive past camp the day  prior.  Just considered it very rude, the Missouri locals did not take it very well either.  The guys could have went down the gravel road  at least out of out sight.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »

Agreed on all the above! April 1 through April 30th and a 2 gobbler limit is needed badly.
Agreed! I have hunted public and private land here for 30 years. I have met out state hunters and local hunters and have NEVER had a bad word spoke between us. One of my best friends is a game warden here. I know for a fact that most of the people breaking the law here are from Arkansas. Take from that what you will.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 11:59:01 PM »

On a serious note:

It is well known that we are there to hunt, this will be my 29th year and my FIL's 40th in the same spot.   It was 0430 4 of us were standing around the fire just getting ready to walk from camp to hunt.  We had seen the same vehicle drive past camp the day  prior.  Just considered it very rude, the Missouri locals did not take it very well either.  The guys could have went down the gravel road  at least out of out sight.

This scenario brings in one of those gray areas. I would never park near another man’s camp and hunt. However, to think that because you set up camp there and think no one else is going to hunt that area because you are camped there and have camped there for years is flawed logic.

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 06:42:58 AM »
When and if I can get away for a different state hunt I only hunt max 4 days , family work etc gets me back home .  I personally know several groups of out of state hunters that stay here for several weeks !  How does the town of eldarado function during turkey season ?  All there men are in ms chasing turkeys !

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 06:49:53 AM »
That's right
And I think ,if the mdwfp gave a rat about the wildlife
As much as they say, instead of all the money they get from out of state hunters ,they would make the season later . It's all about the money.