OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cleaning between shots

Started by rakkin6, March 18, 2021, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

So quick question how you guys go about this when patterning. So when you are at the range patterning and you run your boresnake through your gun do you leave your turkey choke in and run it through do you take it out and run it through. Or do you take it out and put in a modified choke and run the snake through?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

lunghit

What I started doing while patterning was use a 20 Gauge boresnake in my 12 and leave the turkey choke in. The 20 Boresnake will get the barrel pretty clean and still easily pass through the turkey choke.  I will be setting up a 20 Gauge gun in the near future so I will probably end up bringing an Imp Cyl choke with me and put that in the gun and snake it in between shots.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

SwampRooster17

I leave my turkey choke in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

I use a bore snake and leave the choke in.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

tha bugman

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 18, 2021, 09:49:21 PM
So quick question how you guys go about this when patterning. So when you are at the range patterning and you run your boresnake through your gun do you leave your turkey choke in and run it through do you take it out and run it through. Or do you take it out and put in a modified choke and run the snake through?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I leave the choke in

ChesterCopperpot

I leave the choke in and bore snake. Never had trouble pulling through a turkey choke. I usually do a consistent number of pass throughs between each shot, sometimes four, sometimes six.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: JPhuntnc on March 20, 2021, 06:23:15 PM
Do you guys think this is necessary when patterning TSS ?
I think if you're counting numbers it is. If looking at a huntable pattern, probably not, but still worth noting if the patterns and percentages fall off. Some of mine get substantially worse with a dirty barrel and some of them don't.

ShootingABN!

So?

I was using a boresnake in between shots. I finally took off the barrel and looked down it after 2-3 passes with the snake. Man the barrel looked nasty.... So is the snake really helping?

So I get it that the ideal way is to remove the barrel and use the tornado brush with a clean patch overtop of it.

I thought I had it going on with the snake.. In hind sight I'm not so sure it's the right answer for me.

What say you?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ShootingABN! on March 25, 2021, 07:04:08 PM
So?

I was using a boresnake in between shots. I finally took off the barrel and looked down it after 2-3 passes with the snake. Man the barrel looked nasty.... So is the snake really helping?

So I get it that the ideal way is to remove the barrel and use the tornado brush with a clean patch overtop of it.

I thought I had it going on with the snake.. In hind sight I'm not so sure it's the right answer for me.

What say you?
Is it an older, well used bore snake? Only reason I ask, this would surprise me if it's true to bore and not worn out. I've heard people talk about pulling 20ga through a 12ga to get through a turkey choke, and I'd never do that. I use the 12ga and eventually it does get to where it's too easy to pull through, at which point I usually start pulling that one through a 20ga and buy a new 12ga snake. Like I said above, I usually pull through six times between shots but when I've looked at the barrel it's pretty dang clean, some mild streaking and the forcing cone area tends to get dirty, but for the most part that chrome barrel is shining. Certainly a lot better at least than not doing anything between shots. If you've used the bore snake for a long time you might just need a new one.