OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Boss is looking for a sight  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Boss is looking for a sight
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:40:04 PM »
My friend/boss is looking to pick up some form of sight for both turkey hunting and coyote hunting. I believe he said he wants to put it on a 20 gauge. He does not want (and please forgive me if I use wrong terminology here) a tube sight like my Leupold Turkey Plex, he wants more of what I believe would be called either a holographic sight, a Reflex or a red dot. He had first mentioned a red dot but I know he has had an eye injury in his shooting eye so worry if he can use a red dot or not or of he would get the "starburst" I have heard about some people with eye injuries or astigmatisms sometimes getting. I thought maybe what I think is called a halo sight with the cross-hairs and all on or in or between the glass and could be illuminated but I am not sure I am even making a good recommendation because quite frankly I only know the little I have read head about them and I am quite ignorant on the subject.

I know he uses lead for turkey and sometimes #4 buck shot on coyote if I remember right, I do not know if that will help choose or suggest one for him or not. It is kind of hard because I have to relay him information because he is Mennonite and can't have a computer to come a read replies himself. Thanks for any help that can be given, I am trying to get him to just go to Bass Pro Shops and look through a few, but it is a bit of a drive from here.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Boss is looking for a sight
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
I prefer a single metal  front bead with NO mid bead for turkeys/coyote.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »
I prefer a single metal  front bead with NO mid bead for turkeys/coyote.
Thanks, but he is looking for some form of a sight other than the traditional or fiber optic.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Which Gun

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
Reflex sight like Burris fastfire or vortex venom or anything like them.  I love them on my turkey and my coyote gun. You can keep both eyes open for quick action or close one to be more precise. They work really well. The tube red dots work great to.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:25:54 PM »
Reflex sight like Burris fastfire or vortex venom or anything like them.  I love them on my turkey and my coyote gun. You can keep both eyes open for quick action or close one to be more precise. They work really well. The tube red dots work great to.
Thank you very much for the reply, I do appreciate it.

John Koenig:

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »
Can’t rule out a 1x4 shotgun scope. It will guarantee no worries with his eyes. Good luck Steve...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »
Can’t rule out a 1x4 shotgun scope. It will guarantee no worries with his eyes. Good luck Steve...
We did talk about that, he seems to have no interest in that kind of sight. I am watching this video and it is talking about MOA 3 or 4 what does that mean and which would he want and why? This question is open to anyone to answer please. I do know it stands for Minutes of Angle but have not idea what that means. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pTmLD5rY0

John Koenig:

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 08:52:37 PM »
3moa means the dot is 3 inches in diameter at 100 yards, 4 moa is 4 inches at 100 . 2 most used reflex sight will be the Burris Fast Fire 3 and Vortex venom.  Both have lifetime warranty. Holographic sight = Eotech but is much larger and more expensive. Trijicon is another great reflex sight but more expensive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Which Gun

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »
I would not recommend a scope for a coyote gun. Action can be quick and trying to find one in a scope on the run up close is hard to do. I would rather have open sights then a scope on a coyote gun. MOA is the size of of dot. 4 moa means it covers 4” at hundred yards. Four I believe is the standard  I do have a couple 2 moa dots.

Which Gun

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 09:05:10 PM »
I will add this I love red dots either tube or reflex. I have shot called in crows using reflex sight on shotgun. I have red dots on most of my shotguns except my rabbit guns.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
3moa means the dot is 3 inches in diameter at 100 yards, 4 moa is 4 inches at 100 . 2 most used reflex sight will be the Burris Fast Fire 3 and Vortex venom.  Both have lifetime warranty. Holographic sight = Eotech but is much larger and more expensive. Trijicon is another great reflex sight but more expensive.

Thank you very much for the explanation, pretty easy concept. I did see the Trijicon, quite the price tag, I know he will not go that rout based on that alone. I do not think he will go above 200.00 but he has surprised me before.

I would not recommend a scope for a coyote gun. Action can be quick and trying to find one in a scope on the run up close is hard to do. I would rather have open sights then a scope on a coyote gun. MOA is the size of of dot. 4 moa means it covers 4” at hundred yards. Four I believe is the standard  I do have a couple 2 moa dots.
I will add this I love red dots either tube or reflex. I have shot called in crows using reflex sight on shotgun. I have red dots on most of my shotguns except my rabbit guns.
Thank you for the explanation as well. I will let him know you did not suggest them for coyote.

John Koenig:

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 10:28:10 PM »

Thank you very much for the explanation, pretty easy concept. I did see the Trijicon, quite the price tag, I know he will not go that rout based on that alone. I do not think he will go above 200.00 but he has surprised me before.

Thank you for the explanation as well. I will let him know you did not suggest them for coyote.
Red dot workes fine on coyotes as well. A under $200 red dot reflex option would be the Swampfox King slayer.  You can get a res dot or a green large circle with a 2 moa dot in the center.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 10:38:52 PM »

Red dot workes fine on coyotes as well. A under $200 red dot reflex option would be the Swampfox King slayer.  You can get a res dot or a green large circle with a 2 moa dot in the center.

Thank you very much. I am just hoping I can get him to BPS to look through them to make sure they work with his injured eye.

John Koenig:

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 10:40:50 PM »
Hope your able to find something and hope for a speedy recovery of his eye.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »
Hope your able to find something and hope for a speedy recovery of his eye.

It is something that happened some time ago but I know he has had some problem with it from time to time. He and wife were asleep in bed and she rolled over and put her thumbnail into his eye cutting it pretty good. He had to wear a patch for a month or two and has to wear sunglasses outside now. Thanks again for the help, I am heading to bed.

John Koenig: