OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wittenberg 1802 Chestnut

Started by Rapscallion Vermilion, March 13, 2021, 10:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

Just received one of Dan Wittenberg's "Double Beard" long boxes, a limited series Dan is making from rare and historic woods.  This one came from some pre-blight chestnut reclaimed from an old barn in Vermont that was built in 1802.

This is my third long box from Dan and they all sound great.  This old chestnut is definitely the raspiest of the three.

Daddy rat

Awesome paddle!  What wait time on one of his calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Like that one, cool history.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Daddy rat on March 13, 2021, 11:01:11 PM
Awesome paddle!  What wait time on one of his calls?

He tries to get ahead over the winter, so this time of year he usually has some in the works that aren't spoken for.

Tom007

Wow, awesome call. That's a beauty....
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Great caller !!!!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

sbbow

Very nice

bobk

chefrific

Great box!!!!  Congrats on a fine call.
Love the history of that wood.  Too cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KentuckyHeadhunter

He makes a fine box and also makes great holsters for them.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Happy hooker

Raps

that one is made in the COST style,,,is he making any of the limited edition woods in his own style??

Tom007

The more I look at this fantastic box, the better it looks Mike. Best of luck with that work of art my friend...... :z-winnersmiley:
"Solo hunter"

packmule

Quote from: Happy hooker on March 16, 2021, 01:13:51 AM
Raps

that one is made in the COST style,,,is he making any of the limited edition woods in his own style??

That's not Dan's Cost style call, it's the Dan's style without inlays.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Happy hooker on March 16, 2021, 01:13:51 AM
Raps

Everything that he is currently working on is in Dan's style, including a couple of special edition calls. As Toby said, Dan opted to skip the inlay for this old wood.