Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vortex Viper vs Venom Red dot difference? also 3moa vs 6moa?

Started by Goblue4016, March 10, 2021, 11:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblue4016

Hi All -

Turkey Season is so close for me I cant wait! I am wanting to try out a red dot on my Mossberg 535 shotgun and was wondering what the difference was between the Vortex Viper and Venom red dots? they are basically the same price but I do see that most here recommend if venom if going with vortex. just curious whats the reason?

Also if I do go with the venom should I get 3 moa or 6 moa? I believe the viper only comes in 6moa.

I know the Burris is highly recommended as well but I have a friend who can get me a discount on the vortex's so im going to go with them.

fmf

I would suggest 3moa.  6 moa is just a little bit big to me, but I think some people like that.  I believe that the difference in those sights is that the viper is slightly smaller and lower mounting and only comes in 6 moa which is why you probably don't see it recommended much over the venom.

Upfold99

Venom also comes in 3 MOA. I have two of them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Gmed

The Viper battery loads from the bottom is another difference. You must remove it from the mount. The Venom is a top load. Between my son and I, we have three Venoms and two Fastfire III. No problems out of any, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

Goblue4016

Quote from: Gmed on March 10, 2021, 12:31:20 PM
The Viper battery loads from the bottom is another difference. You must remove it from the mount. The Venom is a top load. Between my son and I, we have three Venoms and two Fastfire III. No problems out of any, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

good to know yes I dont want to have to remove the red dot every time to change a battery. do you prefer the 3moa over the 6moa also?

Gmed

Quote from: Goblue4016 on March 12, 2021, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Gmed on March 10, 2021, 12:31:20 PM

good to know yes I dont want to have to remove the red dot every time to change a battery. do you prefer the 3moa over the 6moa also?

Never used a 6moa. The 3moa seems to do everything you will need it to do.

Tom007

I have 3,6, and 8 moa dots. They are all good for turkey hunting. You can't go wrong with anyone of them......good luck...
"Solo hunter"

g8rvet

I have a 2 MOA on an AR and do not like shooting my nephew's 4 MOA. 

I just got a 301T in 410 that came with a Tasco 5 MOA dot and I do not think it will be the slightest issue in shooting a turkey. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.