OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rem Turkey Full Choke vs Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Turkey Choke Tube  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Before spending that money on an IC .665 I would invest in a box of Federal TSS 3” 9’s. You will be amazed. I’m actually shooting Winchester HV 1 3/4 5’s out of the SM870 with the Remington .665. Turkey killer.
I’m old school sitting at the base of a tree working turkeys in hardwood bottoms/ridges and select cut timber. Majority of shots are inside 35 yds.
I already bought it, I would not shoot those through what I have now, it says lead only and I don't want to get hurt a third time, don't know if I could make it back again and I don't want to ruin my gun. I do thank you for the advise though. Edit: smallest I can go here in NY are 8's
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
Have never seen any damage to the Remington Turkey chokes from shooting HTL. You can look at their website and they approve shooting HTL in their Remington SF. They have tested Heavy Shot expensively in their chokes. Right now am shooting TSS through Hastings .665 and .655 which are non-ported lead only chokes. Been shooting HTL through these chokes since the early 90’s. No damage.
Send us some pics of damaged chokes from HTL or TSS Flex wad shells. It is so rare would be interesting to see.  Remington SF I have never seen damaged from HTL.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Have never seen any damage to the Remington Turkey chokes from shooting HTL. You can look at their website and they approve shooting HTL in their Remington SF. They have tested Heavy Shot expensively in their chokes. Right now am shooting TSS through Hastings .665 and .655 which are non-ported lead only chokes. Been shooting HTL through these chokes since the early 90’s. No damage.
Send us some pics of damaged chokes from HTL or TSS Flex wad shells. It is so rare would be interesting to see.  Remington SF I have never seen damaged from HTL.

Not sure what HTL is, not sure why your tone seems so challenging? The choke I have says and I quote "Lead shot only" so that is all I will put through it. I really am perplexed about the way you seem to be attacking when I am simply using proper safety precautions.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
Research Remington website where they have tested extensively with Hevi shot in their chokes. Including the Ventilator .655. HTL is heavier than lead. Federal TSS is also approved in Kicks chokes which have always been “lead only chokes”. Google Remington SF and Hevi shot.
Was really just trying to save you some money. People are having some great results with the SF .665 and I’ve never seen one fail.
We guide with an 870SM/ Rem SF .665 and shoot 3” TSS. The ladies and kids shoot our 870 20g/ Rem SF with Fed HW 7’s.

The Rem 870 SF and XF are great chokes and we always recommend that people run a number of shells through them before buying the expensive chokes.

You want to sell that SF .665?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:09:39 PM by Longshanks »

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Maybe the (Lead shot only) pertains to steel shot.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Research Remington website where they have tested extensively with Hevi shot in their chokes. Including the Ventilator .655. HTL is heavier than lead. Federal TSS is also approved in Kicks chokes which have always been “lead only chokes”. Google Remington SF and Hevi shot.
Was really just trying to save you some money. People are having some great results with the SF .665 and I’ve never seen one fail.
We guide with an 870SM/ Rem SF .665 and shoot 3” TSS. The ladies and kids shoot our 870 20g/ Rem SF with Fed HW 7’s.

The Rem 870 SF and XF are great chokes and we always recommend that people run a number of shells through them before buying the expensive chokes.

You want to sell that SF .665?
No, will put it up next to the feathers, beard, spurs and shell used to take my first bird.
Maybe the (Lead shot only) pertains to steel shot.
That is quite possible, at the time I got the gun it was steel shot for waterfowl only, I think. May still be.

John Koenig:

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Sorry I have not been replying much, have not felt well since Thursday or Friday night, was just in a ton of pain the first two days then during the weekend started to feel sick and still do.

You're splitting hairs here.  665 is 665, the Remington will shoot some loads a tad better and the Indian Creek will shoot some loads a tad better.
POI may change with a new choke. If it ain't broke don't fix it so if the Remington is working well with the Longbeard 6's I would roll with that and find something else to throw my money into instead of a new tube that will perform like the one you already have.
The Indian creek looks longer and is also vented, I was not sure if perhaps that would make a positive or negative difference, I seem to remember hearing some shells do not shoot well with a ported or vented round, that is why I was sure to include what I would be shooting and links to both products.

You're splitting hairs here.  665 is 665, the Remington will shoot some loads a tad better and the Indian Creek will shoot some loads a tad better.
POI may change with a new choke. If it ain't broke don't fix it so if the Remington is working well with the Longbeard 6's I would roll with that and find something else to throw my money into instead of a new tube that will perform like the one you already have.
The issue is the Remington it is a lead only choke tube. Nothing wrong with shooting lead shot. He is looking at possibly trying HTL or TSS in the future. I would advise against shooting either of them through a lead only choke tube.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I would like to try TSS next year, number 8's are the largest allowed here in NY I have ZERO INTEREST IN SHOOTING FURTHER I do like the idea of more shot making it more likely to have more hits though. I am not apposed to trying Hevi-Weight either, to me it is just like trying different broadheads and vanes on my arrows, something I love to do.

P.S. Quick Spin Vanes are worth it if you can find them, but you have to prepare your arrows and vanes with rubbing alcohol, not acetone like you use on other arrow vane combinations. If you are using broadheads that already spin the arrow like I think it is Rage make sure you set them up with a right helical.

@captpete Sorry if it seemed I was signaling you out in a negative way, not my intention, I was agreeing with you.

@Tom007 Thank you bud, hope to soon, go through this every winter because I do not have a spleen so do not have a normal immune system, that is why I do not normally go places with kids in the winter.

Steve, I just saw this and want to assure you that I took no offence to your comment and I hope I didn't offend you with mine. I was just trying to point out that one should check their pattern at 15-20 yards as well as 40yards. All is good my friend.

Kevin

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Sorry I have not been replying much, have not felt well since Thursday or Friday night, was just in a ton of pain the first two days then during the weekend started to feel sick and still do.

The Indian creek looks longer and is also vented, I was not sure if perhaps that would make a positive or negative difference, I seem to remember hearing some shells do not shoot well with a ported or vented round, that is why I was sure to include what I would be shooting and links to both products.

The issue is the Remington it is a lead only choke tube. Nothing wrong with shooting lead shot. He is looking at possibly trying HTL or TSS in the future. I would advise against shooting either of them through a lead only choke tube.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I would like to try TSS next year, number 8's are the largest allowed here in NY I have ZERO INTEREST IN SHOOTING FURTHER I do like the idea of more shot making it more likely to have more hits though. I am not apposed to trying Hevi-Weight either, to me it is just like trying different broadheads and vanes on my arrows, something I love to do.

P.S. Quick Spin Vanes are worth it if you can find them, but you have to prepare your arrows and vanes with rubbing alcohol, not acetone like you use on other arrow vane combinations. If you are using broadheads that already spin the arrow like I think it is Rage make sure you set them up with a right helical.

@captpete Sorry if it seemed I was signaling you out in a negative way, not my intention, I was agreeing with you.

@Tom007 Thank you bud, hope to soon, go through this every winter because I do not have a spleen so do not have a normal immune system, that is why I do not normally go places with kids in the winter.

Steve, I just saw this and want to assure you that I took no offence to your comment and I hope I didn't offend you with mine. I was just trying to point out that one should check their pattern at 15-20 yards as well as 40yards. All is good my friend.

Kevin
No offense taken at all bud, was just agreeing with you more than anything. Still waiting for the choke to come in, it was supposed to be here on Tuesday.

John Koenig: