Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rem Turkey Full Choke vs Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Turkey Choke Tube

Started by Sir-diealot, March 13, 2021, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I currently have the Remington Turkey Super Full Choke for my 11-87 which has a constriction of .665 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008170855 How would that compare to the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Turkey Choke Tube also with a constriction of .665 https://indiancreekss.com/12-gauge-turkey-choke-tubes/

I have no interest at this time in shooting TSS thought in the future I may like to play around with it on a limited bases so I do know that is one advantage the Indian Creek will have as the Remington is rated for lead only. I will be shooting Winchester Longbeard XR's #6's no more than 40 yards and most likely under 30 because I don't have the greatest eyes in the world. I do use a Leupold Turkey Plex on the gun.

I just always enjoyed playing around with different configurations on my arrows so I thought I would try this. Thank you for any replies.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 13, 2021, 09:40:46 PM
I currently have the Remington Turkey Super Full Choke for my 11-87 which has a constriction of .665 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008170855 How would that compare to the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Turkey Choke Tube also with a constriction of .665 https://indiancreekss.com/12-gauge-turkey-choke-tubes/

I have no interest at this time in shooting TSS thought in the future I may like to play around with it on a limited bases so I do know that is one advantage the Indian Creek will have as the Remington is rated for lead only. I will be shooting Winchester Longbeard XR's #6's no more than 40 yards and most likely under 30 because I don't have the greatest eyes in the world. I do use a Leupold Turkey Plex on the gun.

I just always enjoyed playing around with different configurations on my arrows so I thought I would try this. Thank you for any replies.

Steve, I am new to the Remington game with my 870. One thing I can add is that I put an Indian Creek .665 in mine due to numerous advice on this forum. I get the best pattern with 3 inch #7 Hevi-13, 2 ounce load. I have not shot TSS out of it yet, so I can't give you info on that.  I am sure you will get more help on this regarding the TSS. I have Indian Creek tubes in other turkey guns, they are great all round chokes. They shoot Winchester Lb's real good as well. Hope I helped you here..good luck...Tom
"Solo hunter"

captpete

In my 870 SPM a .665 choke(original Jellyhead, Tru-Glo, H.S Strut Undertaker) with Longbeard 5's was just to tight for me at 15 yards...softball sized pattern. To me that is like trying to hit a baseball sized target with a softball. One little move by the "target" or me and it's likely to be a miss. I tried a Carlson .670 and that opened the pattern up to about a volleyball size at 15 yards and still had a solid, even killing pattern at 40yards.

I know this doesn't really address your questions about those 2 chokes, but thought I would share my experience with tight chokes and Longbeards just to give you something to think about / consider. Some people only think about the pattern at 40 and don't test or realize how small it can be under 20.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Not sure who manufacturer the Super Full factory Remington choke. But I would bet you won't be sorry with a .665 IC. Indian Creek just seems to work relly well in about every application I have seen. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Thank you gentlemen for the replies, I surely do test from 5-40 so I will know what is going on before I get out there, you owe it to whatever you are hunting. I do thank you for the advise

Please forgive short reply, I am feeling a bit under the weather, I will make longer replies later.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Ihuntoldschool

You're splitting hairs here.  665 is 665, the Remington will shoot some loads a tad better and the Indian Creek will shoot some loads a tad better.
POI may change with a new choke. If it ain't broke don't fix it so if the Remington is working well with the Longbeard 6's I would roll with that and find something else to throw my money into instead of a new tube that will perform like the one you already have.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 14, 2021, 06:41:19 PM
You're splitting hairs here.  665 is 665, the Remington will shoot some loads a tad better and the Indian Creek will shoot some loads a tad better.
POI may change with a new choke. If it ain't broke don't fix it so if the Remington is working well with the Longbeard 6's I would roll with that and find something else to throw my money into instead of a new tube that will perform like the one you already have.
The issue is the Remington it is a lead only choke tube. Nothing wrong with shooting lead shot. He is looking at possibly trying HTL or TSS in the future. I would advise against shooting either of them through a lead only choke tube.

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 14, 2021, 06:38:52 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the replies, I surely do test from 5-40 so I will know what is going on before I get out there, you owe it to whatever you are hunting. I do thank you for the advise

Please forgive short reply, I am feeling a bit under the weather, I will make longer replies later.

Feel better Steve, be well my friend
"Solo hunter"

Jroddc

Sounds to me like you have a perfectly good excuse for buying another turkey gun. You can always use another  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Jroddc on March 14, 2021, 07:54:45 PM

Sounds to me like you have a perfectly good excuse for buying another turkey gun. You can always use another  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
Next turkey gun will be a muzzleloader, hopefully a flintlock.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Sorry I have not been replying much, have not felt well since Thursday or Friday night, was just in a ton of pain the first two days then during the weekend started to feel sick and still do.

The Indian creek looks longer and is also vented, I was not sure if perhaps that would make a positive or negative difference, I seem to remember hearing some shells do not shoot well with a ported or vented round, that is why I was sure to include what I would be shooting and links to both products.

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on March 14, 2021, 07:08:20 PM
The issue is the Remington it is a lead only choke tube. Nothing wrong with shooting lead shot. He is looking at possibly trying HTL or TSS in the future. I would advise against shooting either of them through a lead only choke tube.

I would like to try TSS next year, number 8's are the largest allowed here in NY I have ZERO INTEREST IN SHOOTING FURTHER I do like the idea of more shot making it more likely to have more hits though. I am not apposed to trying Hevi-Weight either, to me it is just like trying different broadheads and vanes on my arrows, something I love to do.

P.S. Quick Spin Vanes are worth it if you can find them, but you have to prepare your arrows and vanes with rubbing alcohol, not acetone like you use on other arrow vane combinations. If you are using broadheads that already spin the arrow like I think it is Rage make sure you set them up with a right helical.

@captpete Sorry if it seemed I was signaling you out in a negative way, not my intention, I was agreeing with you.

@Tom007 Thank you bud, hope to soon, go through this every winter because I do not have a spleen so do not have a normal immune system, that is why I do not normally go places with kids in the winter.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Just ordered one from Bass Pro Shops, they have them on sale and by using my BPS Credit Card I saved an additional 10% beyond the sale price.

John Koenig:

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 15, 2021, 05:22:21 PM
Sorry I have not been replying much, have not felt well since Thursday or Friday night, was just in a ton of pain the first two days then during the weekend started to feel sick and still do.

The Indian creek looks longer and is also vented, I was not sure if perhaps that would make a positive or negative difference, I seem to remember hearing some shells do not shoot well with a ported or vented round, that is why I was sure to include what I would be shooting and links to both products.

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on March 14, 2021, 07:08:20 PM

I would like to try TSS next year, number 8's are the largest allowed here in NY I have ZERO INTEREST IN SHOOTING FURTHER I do like the idea of more shot making it more likely to have more hits though. I am not apposed to trying Hevi-Weight either, to me it is just like trying different broadheads and vanes on my arrows, something I love to do.

P.S. Quick Spin Vanes are worth it if you can find them, but you have to prepare your arrows and vanes with rubbing alcohol, not acetone like you use on other arrow vane combinations. If you are using broadheads that already spin the arrow like I think it is Rage make sure you set them up with a right helical.

@captpete Sorry if it seemed I was signaling you out in a negative way, not my intention, I was agreeing with you.

@Tom007 Thank you bud, hope to soon, go through this every winter because I do not have a spleen so do not have a normal immune system, that is why I do not normally go places with kids in the winter.

Your health is more important Steve. Be well, be safe, glad your up and blogging with us again....
"Solo hunter"

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 15, 2021, 05:44:14 PM
Just ordered one from Bass Pro Shops, they have them on sale and by using my BPS Credit Card I saved an additional 10% beyond the sale price.
You won't be sorry in your investment in a Indian Creek IMHO.

Longshanks

Before spending that money on an IC .665 I would invest in a box of Federal TSS 3" 9's. You will be amazed. I'm actually shooting Winchester HV 1 3/4 5's out of the SM870 with the Remington .665. Turkey killer.
I'm old school sitting at the base of a tree working turkeys in hardwood bottoms/ridges and select cut timber. Majority of shots are inside 35 yds.