OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Billy Buice trumpet wood type?

Started by MossyOak92, March 12, 2021, 08:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MossyOak92

Anyone know what type of wood this is? The last picture is beside an Osage for reference.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

ol bob

Ossage the new one will look like the old one in a few years.

MossyOak92

Quote from: ol bob on March 12, 2021, 08:33:30 AM
Ossage the new one will look like the old one in a few years.
I wondered the same thing. But the numbers and only being made a month apart had me questioning myself. And thanks for the reply. Here is a look at what I am carrying opening day here in GA. Two fine pieces of work.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Austy

I love how Osage is like a fine wine and just gets prettier with age as it changes to that honey brown color.  You have 2 killer calls right there for opening day from 2 of finest.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

I would say Osage. It will darken up over the next few years.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ol bob

Its from some Ossage that I gave him about a year ago, it had been sitting in a barn for over 60 years.

turkey stew

Vaughnrp2

Billy starts over at number 1 after he's gets to 1000. I only know this because I asked him this question last week.

savannahrivergoobler

Is there a way to keep osage from turning?   I love to watch them turn,  but it would be nice to keep one at it's original light color.

ol bob

Keep it in the dark, light is what make it turn.

Austy

Osage and African Blackwood to name a few woods are all effected by ultra violet light which over time will cause the wood to patina and change color.  I too love to see how the different woods age over time.  I have an African Blackwood call that when I turned that call for myself was one of the most beautiful pieces of AFB that I made a call from with beautiful visible grain.  Now that same call is as black as a piece of coal.  The grain is still there but I almost have to put a pair of magnifiers on to see it that's who much it has changed color.

To slow down the process keep the call in a dark place with the least amount of exposure to UV light, that at least will slow down the process and has been my experience.

But as a call maker, and I am sure I speak for pretty many of us we like to see our calls being put to use so that pretty much blows that theory out of the water, LOL.