OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Which one do you hunt?  (Read 4155 times)

Online PoolGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • I.A.B.D.A.I.G.T.B.A.
Re: Which one do you hunt?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 02:37:28 PM »
Sweet looking gun and patterns as well!

What was your process of mounting your optic?  I have the same gun that’s already drilled and tapped but it seems like there are conflicting suggestions on mount (rail, screws, etc.)

What specific rail did you use and did it come with the correct length screws? Thanks for any help!

I think it’s a weaver 48339 base. About 20$ and sits low on the gun. I can’t remember if the screws were the correct length or not. The front may have been a little long but a couple swipes with a flat file and they were good to go. The red dot weaver/picatinny base that comes with the sight should fit the base without any modifications....

Great! Thanks for the info. My build begins now...

Online Gmed

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 10:03:37 PM »
Sweet looking gun and patterns as well!

What was your process of mounting your optic?  I have the same gun that’s already drilled and tapped but it seems like there are conflicting suggestions on mount (rail, screws, etc.)

What specific rail did you use and did it come with the correct length screws? Thanks for any help!

I think it’s a weaver 48339 base. About 20$ and sits low on the gun. I can’t remember if the screws were the correct length or not. The front may have been a little long but a couple swipes with a flat file and they were good to go. The red dot weaver/picatinny base that comes with the sight should fit the base without any modifications....
[/quote

Great! Thanks for the info. My build begins now...

Good luck and if ya need any info, I can tell ya all I did to mine. I have some gunsmith experience, and this is novice so you should have no problems. I used a drop of blue lok tite on each screw on the base. You can get it at Lowe’s if you don’t have any. Easy to remove but will hold the screws in place. Don’t overtighten the screws in that aluminum receiver. I have those Jebs chokes in the classified section. They shot great patterns, just picked what the group thought was best...

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »
Id personally hunt the sumtoy. Higher 10" #'s and a good 20" coverage. That said any of those chokes will kill past 40 any day. I might opt to go with the jebs 575 if i was shooting factory bead sights, but with the red dot my vote is for sumtoy.

Offline MattBordas

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:39 PM »
That .575 Jebs looks money to me! Tons of pellets for those longer shots but a little extra cushion for one hat come charging in to 10 yards. Dead is dead. And 5 pellets will kill one just the same as 50.

Online Gmed

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »
I went with the votes and keepin the Sumtoy. I run a red dot and hope I am experienced enough to keep my heart out of my throat to squeeze the trigger on an up close bird. I am going to try a .570 Sumtoy just to satisfy myself, but I am done after that. Both Jebs and Sumtoy make fantastic chokes and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either. I put the Jebs on the 20 gauge choke classifieds...thanks for all the opinions. The patterns were so good, I just kept second guessing myself...

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 12:35:26 AM »
JEBS  .565