OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: scope on turkey gun  (Read 5765 times)

Offline captfire

scope on turkey gun
« on: March 10, 2021, 08:51:20 PM »
I;AM LOOKING FOR A SCOPE TO PUT ON MY GUN I DON'T WANT A RED DOT JUST A SCOPE WITH CROSS HAIR'S WITH A DIMOUND IN THE CENTER DON'T WANT TO BRAKE THE BANK. WIFE SAY'S I'VE SPENT TO MUCH ALL READDY LOL.

Offline Gmed

Re: scope on turkey gun
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:58:15 PM »
Just be sure it’s got plenty of eye relief. Only “scope eye” I ever got was using one on my turkey gun - it was a shotgun scope with longer eye relief - and shooting at a gobbler that came in over my left shoulder. Had to twist around pretty far to shoot. I am glad I had an old rag in my vest, because I bled as much as the turkey.....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 08:57:46 AM by Gmed »

Offline cknpro1

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 07:26:50 AM »
I’m thinking the same way. No electronics or batteries to crap out at the wrong time, simplicity yet high accuracy. I’ve got a Tru-glo 4x ordered but also have a 1-4 Leupold and a 4x Sightron that are all viable. The Sightron has the longest eye relief, but it sits on a 10/22, the Leupold on my AR. I figure the Tru-glo might replace one of those if it’s eye-relief is questionable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 07:44:23 AM »
I;AM LOOKING FOR A SCOPE TO PUT ON MY GUN I DON'T WANT A RED DOT JUST A SCOPE WITH CROSS HAIR'S WITH A DIMOUND IN THE CENTER DON'T WANT TO BRAKE THE BANK. WIFE SAY'S I'VE SPENT TO MUCH ALL READDY LOL.

I use scopes and red dots. They are both great. If you go with a scope, as mentioned pay attention to your eye relief. It is not a problem, just maximize it when you mount the scope. I like 1x4, lower power scopes. Great field of view. Also, I like a finer crosshair. Leupold make great shotgun scopes. eBay has a great variety. They are a bit tough to find, so when you see one you like, grab it. Make sure you use a good quality, rugged set of rings. Turkey loads pound them. I use Burris Tactical Scope Rings. They are solid as a rock. Hope this helped. Good luck....
“Solo hunter”

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »
Just be sure it’s got plenty of eye relief. Only “scope eye” I ever got was using one on my turkey gun - it was a shotgun scope with longer eye relief - and shooting at a gobbler that came in over my left shoulder. Had to twist around pretty far to shoot. I am glad I had an old rag in my vest, because I bled as much as the turkey.....

Yep.  3.5" mag shell out of Benelli SBE and I was using a Burris with the turkey reticle.  I had been nicked twice before and had a drop of blood or two, but that last time the gobbler came across the field and I laid out prone and the buttstock wasn't seated on my shoulder when I pulled the trigger.  I shot and got knocked out for 30 seconds.  Came around and there was blood streaming down both sides of my face, glasses broken.  Lucky I didn't lose my right eye.  Had to got to the emergency room and they not only stitched me up, they also did a CT scan on my head to make sure I didn't have any bleeding in the brain.   PS.  I did kill the turkey, but I got the worse of it because his death was quick and I deeply suffered.

Double PS. The scope came off the next day and was replaced with a first Red Dot.   Leupold Gilmore.

Offline cknpro1

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 05:05:04 PM »

Unforeseen complication...
And a hammer spur extension will not work because it will impact the release lever. Well $##%!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 07:34:40 PM »
My Bushnell has never had an issue in 25+ years.

Circle of Death

MK M GOBL

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »
My Nikon either, plenty of eye relief. Of course their not made anymore. If you look hard you can find Bushnell circle x their decent glass.

Offline Ahollon3

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 11:39:00 PM »
Konus makes a great diamond reticle scope under 100 dollars on Amazon.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 07:29:09 AM »
 :morning:
I like low power 20mm scopes too. Leupold makes nice ones, old and new.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »
love using the scope i have better than my FF3. I leave it set on it's lowest magnification and it is like using open sights. With 6" of eye relief the scope eyepiece is even with the end of the receiver, impossible to get a case of the old scope eye. It is a Bushnell Dusk til Dawn 1.75 x 4, with as Mk M Gobl calls it, "the circle of death." It is mounted to my Vinci with the old style weaver rings and weaver multi slot rail. Sits nice and low, and the rings work like a poor man's quick release.Great scope if you can find one!

Offline Ahollon3

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
get a konus. i have a couple of them and really like them. find it on amazon for around 100 bucks. give or take  a few dollars

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »
My eyes have gotten to where I could not clearly see my fiber-optic sights anymore so I bought a Leopold Turkey-Plex scope from a member here and I am glad I did. If there is one thing I would change about it it is that mine is I think a 20mm and they made a 33mm as well and if ever I find a 33mm I will upgrade for the larger field of view, not that I have had any problems with the smaller one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:21 PM »
I have turkey scopes of several different brands, Nikon, Simmons, Bushnell, Redhead, BSA and Tasco. I have 2 Simmons pro diamonds that the diamond will illuminate red inside like a red dot sight. These are really hard to find..

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
My eyes have gotten to where I could not clearly see my fiber-optic sights anymore so I bought a Leopold Turkey-Plex scope from a member here and I am glad I did. If there is one thing I would change about it it is that mine is I think a 20mm and they made a 33mm as well and if ever I find a 33mm I will upgrade for the larger field of view, not that I have had any problems with the smaller one.
The 20mm is the 1x4 and the 33mm is the 2x7.  I would rather have the 1x4 myself.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!