OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mouth calling  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Elidepew05

Mouth calling
« on: March 10, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
How do you put with a diaphragm call? Got a woodhaven ninja hammer

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Mouth calling
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »
Are you asking about making the alarm "putt" as compared to other less-aggressive forms of clucking because you want to avoid doing it?  I'm not sure I understand your motive, so just asking for clarification before going off on one of my long-winded responses....   ;D :angel9:

Offline Elidepew05

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:41:33 PM »
Read something on here about a hen putting then acting spooked but putting to her to calm her down?

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:46:16 PM »
Are you speaking of the infamous "bubble cluck?"

I "pop" my lips and/or tongue....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 09:47:35 AM »
First of all, reproducing the sound you are talking about for most callers is a matter of experimentation and practice.  All of our abilities are not the same and all of our "mechanics" are not the same.  You have to fit the call you use to match your ability and mechanics.  I would suggest a lot of practice and using a variety of different call types until you find the combination that best suits you. 

Now, for discussing the sound itself.  I consider the alarm putt to be the most extreme form of what we commonly refer to as clucking.  There are "contented" clucks, "where are you?" clucks, "aggravated" clucks, and "now I'm gettin' the hell out of Dodge" full-blown alarm putts.

First, the "hen" version...
Most of us that have been doing this a long time have seen the whole gambit. That is, we have seen hens come to our calling starting out with a semblance of the "contented" version, but then eventually working through all the various cluck/putt stages mentioned above.

In my opinion, the specific sound you are referring to falls into the "aggravated cluck" category.  When a hen comes to your calling, she will reach a point where she expects to be able to see what is producing the calls she is hearing.  Typically, when she doesn't see a turkey (Note: having a decoy out will help in these matters if you use one), she will usually start communicating her concern by starting to cluck and purr in an "aggravated" fashion.

The longer she cannot see the source of the calls, the more her aggravation will increase,...and the more pronounced her clucking and purring will become.  At some point,...could be quickly or "after a bit",...she is going to get concerned enough that she will usually get to some level of the "alarm putt" stage. 

What I have found over the years is that you can often hold them off a while from getting to the alarm putting phase, and then departing, by learning how to replicate that aggravated cluck and purr,...or just that staccato, popping cluck sound they start making.  In a situation where a gobbler is trailing a hen (or hens) into your calling, that little bit of time that you can keep the hen from reaching the "we're gettin' out of Dodge" phase may be just enough to pull that gobbler into killin' range.  That is the best you can hope for. 

As for making that sound, here's the deal.  Practice your calling until you can make all of those various clucking-type sounds as closely as you can. Again, your calling mechanics and the call you use will determine how well you can do that.   Then, when a hen shows up and gets into the aggravated stuff with you, just try to imitate her sounds as best you can,....and then hope for the best!   ;D

Knowing how turkey hunters, in general, have a limited attention span,...and that folks get worn out by lengthy posts, I will go through the "gobbler version" of this discussion in a another post.   :angel9: 

Offline Elidepew05

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »
Thanks I'm 15 years old. Been hunting for 3-4 years. Last year was my most time out in the turkey woods as Im getting older starting to take hunting alot more serious. Ive came close to killing one about 2 times. This year Im hoping to get it done this year. Ive never really interacted with a hen or watch turkeys up close.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:01:33 PM »
Thanks I'm 15 years old. Been hunting for 3-4 years. Last year was my most time out in the turkey woods as Im getting older starting to take hunting alot more serious. Ive came close to killing one about 2 times. This year Im hoping to get it done this year. Ive never really interacted with a hen or watch turkeys up close.

Good for you, Elidepew05!  It's great that you have taken up hunting,...and turkey hunting in particular. It is nice to see some youngsters like yourself come on OG and join in the discussions.

You have a lot of wonderful years in front of you!  Keep asking all the questions you can think of.  Those of us that have been at this for many years will enjoy helping you out,...and seeing the progress you make!   :icon_thumright:

Offline Elidepew05

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 03:46:48 PM »
Been hunting deer with a gun for as long as I can walk. But starting to take up other forms of hunting. Ive been bowhunting since like 10 but this last deer season I got my first bowkill. Out of all of it Turkey is my favorite. My dad hasn't killed a turkey in his life either. So definitely learning year after year with my dad. Dad still aint real big into getting up early.lol

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 01:51:31 AM »
Been hunting deer with a gun for as long as I can walk. But starting to take up other forms of hunting. Ive been bowhunting since like 10 but this last deer season I got my first bowkill. Out of all of it Turkey is my favorite. My dad hasn't killed a turkey in his life either. So definitely learning year after year with my dad. Dad still aint real big into getting up early.lol

Welcome! There is a lot info 2 be gained from this sight. Most here are very helpful.

Excellent post GobbleNut.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.