OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Affinity pattern POI

Started by Mike13, March 09, 2021, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike13

Patterned my Affinity again today to try out some TSS 9's. Noticing that the core of my pattern is consistently a touch high and about 5" right of my POA. Anyone mess with the factory supplied shims to address this issue before I go the adjustable sight route? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike13

Looking back through my patterns from this gun, I've noticed that any load with a Federal Flitecontrol wad seems to be pulled right all others POI is dead on. Perhaps it's time for a new choke. Currently have a Carlson's .575

Gentry

I don't think shims will move it that much if any.

7shooter

I would shoot it with the factory full and check poi. As mentioned, carlsons 575 usually does well

Mike13

Quote from: 7shooter on March 11, 2021, 07:29:57 AM
I would shoot it with the factory full and check poi. As mentioned, carlsons 575 usually does well
Shot the factory full with those loads. POI is also to the right so it must be something with those shells with the flitecontrol wad and that gun together. 

Mike13

Got the POA/POI straightened out by changing out the shims that came with the gun. After doing a little more looking into it, it wasn't only the flitecontrol wads that were shooting to the right. All loads were doing it.

7shooter

Thats awesome.  Thanks for following up with that information.

ArMtnHntr

Would you mind sharing what shim you ended up with that brought you're POI in line with POA?

Mike13

Quote from: ArMtnHntr on March 18, 2021, 10:32:10 AM
Would you mind sharing what shim you ended up with that brought you're POI in line with POA?

From the factory the gun had the RB shim in it. If you were to take the gun apart and look at the back of the receiver where the stock meets you can read RB on the shim. (If it were flipped it would be LB for a lefty) I tried the RC and there was improvement, but ended up with the RD shim to get POA/POI matching.

ArMtnHntr

Quote from: Mike13 on March 18, 2021, 12:41:19 PM

From the factory the gun had the RB shim in it. If you were to take the gun apart and look at the back of the receiver where the stock meets you can read RB on the shim. (If it were flipped it would be LB for a lefty) I tried the RC and there was improvement, but ended up with the RD shim to get POA/POI matching.

Thanks!   Going to pattern mine this weekend and just want to be prepared if I run into the same issue.

Trkmaster88

After changing the shims, are you no longer looking at a flat rib with the bead centered?

Mike13

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on March 19, 2021, 12:23:31 PM

After changing the shims, are you no longer looking at a flat rib with the bead centered?

The rib is flat and bead is centered. With this adjustment I do not have compensate or adjust my view down the rib like I did prior to making the change.

Trkmaster88

Quote from: Mike13 on March 19, 2021, 12:43:25 PM

The rib is flat and bead is centered. With this adjustment I do not have compensate or adjust my view down the rib like I did prior to making the change.

Thank you that makes sense. So your rib and bead wasn't centered when shooting with the other shims in then? More of a gun fit thing?

Mike13

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on March 19, 2021, 08:11:33 PM
Quote from: Mike13 on March 19, 2021, 12:43:25 PM

Thank you that makes sense. So your rib and bead wasn't centered when shooting with the other shims in then? More of a gun fit thing?
I thought it was. But after switching shims it feels like the gun fits me better.