Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Right around the corner!

Started by FullChoke, March 08, 2021, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Whoa! One week from this morning, a large percentage of The Roaring 20's will be taking to the woods after Mr. You-Know-Who. This will include, but not limited to, BBR12, 3seasons, 3bailey3, yelpaholic, Candyman and myself. Every year I have to clearly state that the lopsided loading of Mississippi hunters is not intentional. It just happens. I am eternally thankful for my yankee brothers from northern mothers. They help balance the season out over a large spectrum and keep us in the hunt longer.

To those pursuing next Monday, remember our mantra: Be safe, Have fun, kill gobblers!

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

turkeyhunter91

good luck to you all, i hope you lucky dogs have some great hunts and stories to tell. i cant wait till april but reading the forum always help get me by till our season.

3bailey3

Today was the youth opener here in MS. Nice day but only 36 reported today!

FullChoke

The opening of turkey season is soon here in MS. When do you first load your gun and slip out into your woods where you live?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

turkeyhunter91

Ky youth season is april 3-4 and our regular season comes in april 17th this year. This will be my stepsons last year of being able to hunt youth, it makes the wait a little easier being able to chase birds with him for a couple days haha.

3bailey3

I slipped out this morning, no gun, heard one three times in the tree and i think 10 times on the ground
had a bunch of hens with him, hens yelped all day, i listen to them until 9:30 to see what way they were going, checked a few more spots and went back to try and map a way into the way they left this morning and ran into a yelping hen at 3:00, i backed out before bumping then, i will be there for the opener!

TKE921

I will begin my spring journey, as I have for a few years now, in VA for the youth season, which is 4.3 and 4.4 this year.  The next weekend brings in the full season opener.  WV season will open on monday the 19th and will actually be 1 week longer this year, on the back end. 

zelmo1

Most of you will be done before I start, lol. May 1st is my opener. Youth weekend is April 24/25th. It will still be in the 30's at night here so we usually heat up the end of the second week. Nothing happening yet, getting warmer during the days and snow is melting away. "When it gets green, The Bakers get mean", lol. Good luck and be safe. Al

xarcher

Have a couple of balls up in the air, but it looks like I'll start in WV/MD late April in advance of our home opener on May 1 in PA.  Trying to put together a NH/ME trip the end of May and dovetail it with my wife visiting some friends in western ME. 

Until then, good luck to you guys in the south.  Get a couple of good'ns coming out of the gate.  Be safe. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

Brothers,

To all of our team mates taking to the woods tomorrow morning, Be Safe, Have Fun and Shoot Gobblers!

I look forward to great reports and detailed photos. Good luck gentlemen.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke.

FullChoke

Well, I thought I heard a 20 gauge roar off in the distance this morning. Could it be?

Cheers  ;D

FC

3bailey3

Yes Norman you did! I slipped in way early this morning to get in a blind because it was going to rain, as i started to unzip the blind a bird flys out of the tree above me. Its still 45 minutes before first light, i could not believe she saw me but she didn't fly off to far. As it starts to break light i hear drumming, a gobbler is in tree right above me, not 20 feet from where the hen had flown from. He answers the first crow of the morning then a hen starts yelping and he gobbles. I make two clucks with my pot call and he roars back. I wait and two hens starts yelping so i make 3 yelps and he roars back again. I just knew he is going to pitch down right in front of me but i soon see him just glide out of the tree, he didn't flap his wings once. When he's on the ground he gobbles and i make three yelps and i see him step out walking my way at 34 steps my 20 barks and he is down. His feet were not on the ground a minute. My shot was low, i shot some of his beard off and put a bunch of pellets in his breast. Nice to start the season off with a two year old.