OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: tristar raptor  (Read 1871 times)

Offline captfire

tristar raptor
« on: March 08, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »
I'VE GOT A TRISTAR RAPTOR 20 GA. 28 INCH BARREL . I TRIED A CARLSONS .575 WITH LONG BEARD 3 INCH #6 IT WAS WAY TO OPEN AT 30 YARDS . I PUT THE FULL CHOKE IN IT AT 30 YARDS IT WAS A LITTLE BIT BETTER IT WILL KILL A GOBBLE BUT I WOUD LIKE TO HAVE A TURKEY CHOKE WERE I CAN GET OUT TO 40 YARDS. WHAT CHOKE DO U THING I NEED. I TRIED TSS#9 IT WAS;NT ANY BETTER ..

Offline Turkeyfever

Re: tristar raptor
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 02:13:57 PM »
 I have the Tri star Raptor youth with the 24 inch barrel.  I shoot the Carlson 575 non ported extended turkey tube with Federal TSS #9. The gun is one of the best shooting 20 gauge turkey guns that I have. I get great hunting patterns with that combo.

Offline BigCat

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »
I have the 20 gauge Raptor with a 28" barrel (it measures 27 & 3/8 inches). I have a Carlson .568 Long Beard choke and shoot Winchester Long Beard #6's that give me a true turkey killing pattern at 40 yards. I tried 4's & 5's, but the # 6's gave me the best over all patterns. I don't know if there i any difference in the two barrel lengths but this combination works very well for me. I have killed toms out to 37 yards and they were rolled over and hardly twitched.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 11:35:18 PM »
Have you deep cleaned and/or polished and deep cleaned your barrel?  Sometimes a gun just really likes a very smooth, squeaky clean bore to pattern right.  The process for both are pinned to the top of one of the boards on the site.  I always pattern a gun clean, then dirty, then polished and deep cleaned and with the exception of ONE gun, every single gun I've worked on (more than 30) have shot better once cleaned, polished and then deep cleaned after polishing.   Also, are you using a backer paper large enough to see what your patterns actually look like?  I buy the rolls of paper from Walmart and cut them square and do not shoot at it twice.  Once I have the pattern centered to my poa with whatever load/choke combo, I place a small, bright post-it in the center of a 10" circle as my aim point sonic can be removed after shooting.  A big roll of white butcher's paper or even wrapping paper works too.  Shoot your first shot at no more than 10 or 12 yards to make sure where your pattern is actually hitting and then back up in 10 yard increments until your 10" pattern holds no more than 100 pellets.  That's your absolute max range, though with heavyweight and TSS loads, that a good bit past what we would call an "ethical" shot on here...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline captfire

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
 THANKS GUYS I HAD TO GO WITH WITH A CARLSONS .568 WITH TSS #9 331 HITS AT 30 YARDS IN 10 CIRCLE 40 YARDS 250 - 20 YARDS ITS TIGHT BUT IT WILL WORK MOST OF MY KILLS ARE IN THE 25-40 YARDS RANGE. U WERE RIGHT ON BIG CAT THANKS...

Offline BigCat

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:19:23 AM »
Glad that it helped, I love that little 20 gauge Raptor.