turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are they worth?

Started by ssramage, March 08, 2021, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMBOSTC

I hear you, but I'll never say that the second hand seller deserves more than the call maker.

turkey stew

Quote from: paboxcall on March 08, 2021, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 08, 2021, 02:50:20 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 02:42:31 PM
I've always felt that the maker should be making a profit, not the second hand seller. The second hand seller didn't do anything!
If he's not making a profit then he should've long ago upped his prices. But with regard to appreciation, there's not another product on this planet that carries that expectation. Houses. Guns. Cars. Paintings. Land. Baseball cards. You name it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that you maybe misunderstanding what I'm saying.  The call maker deserves the profits, not the second hand seller. Yes, the call maker sets the price and then the second hand seller makes  a 200% profit.

Following that logic, fifty years ago Ferrari should have been slapping $850,000 on their Daytona window stickers.

The maker cannot control the secondhand market. Demand is demand, you can't apply reason or logic and that's why a production box call from Quaker Boy or K&H push pin prices are netting $100 or more. None of that makes any sense. 

Only way for the callmaker to capture that secondhand market value is to stop taking individual orders, and stop using a list. When a call is ready, the maker offers it on ebay and buyers pay what the market bears and they feel is fair.

That will put those calls out of reach for the average hunter, and probably double the value of the secondary market over what it is today as that price accommodates the new and significantly higher initial price tag. I don't think anyone wants that to happen.
Excellent answer. The deep pockets will control the market and the call maker will be happy until there is a deep recession!

paboxcall

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 03:20:11 PM
I hear you, but I'll never say that the second hand seller deserves more than the call maker.

I don't disagree. Only one way to solve that problem though and the prices most of us out of the market as the first owner.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

CMBOSTC

Not sure why someone who sells a call immediately after buying it from the callmakeer expects a 200% profit.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: paboxcall on March 08, 2021, 03:28:51 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 03:20:11 PM

I don't disagree. Only one way to solve that problem though and the prices most of us out of the market as the first owner.

I hear you, but the call maker is being screwed.

ChesterCopperpot

With the way the current housing market up here has gone this house we got for $150 is probably worth $225, but I'd feel bad selling it for that, you know, because I didn't build it.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 08, 2021, 03:40:04 PM
With the way the current housing market up here has gone this house we got for $150 is probably worth $225, but I'd feel bad selling it for that, you know, because I didn't build it.

You do know that's different,  reports come out every year on inflation per area. My message is about second hand sellers who turn around within weeks and sell for a 200% profit.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 03:46:18 PM

You do know that's different,  reports come out every year on inflation per area. My message is about second hand sellers who turn around within weeks and sell for a 200% profit.

And that's not what this person is doing. They stated clearly that they bought the calls and have owned the calls for years but have not played them and wish to sell them to use the money for something else. They asked the value and people are trying to convince him that the value is what he paid when we all know good and well that he can sell them for more than that, that the calls he purchased have appreciated in value as a result of Billy Buice's notoriety and the current trumpet craze. It's disingenuous to try and convince him they aren't worth more. Again, I'll pay him $250 for the 6" ebony if he feels morally conflicted but every single person in this thread knows he could get twice that.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 08, 2021, 03:51:42 PM

And that's not what this person is doing. They stated clearly that they bought the calls and have owned the calls for years but have not played them and wish to sell them to use the money for something else. They asked the value and people are trying to convince him that the value is what he paid when we all know good and well that he can sell them for more than that, that the calls he purchased have appreciated in value as a result of Billy Buice's notoriety and the current trumpet craze. It's disingenuous to try and convince him they aren't worth more. Again, I'll pay him $250 for the 6" ebony if he feels morally conflicted but every single person in this thread knows he could get twice that.

I do agree with appreciation,  but where did he say when the call was  built?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 03:58:44 PM

He didn't give a year. He said they've been on his shelf and he hasn't used them since he bought them and that's why he doesn't want them anymore.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 08, 2021, 04:02:16 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on March 08, 2021, 03:58:44 PM

He didn't give a year. He said they've been on his shelf and he hasn't used them since he bought them and that's why he doesn't want them anymore.

I know,  it could have been 3 months ago.

ChesterCopperpot

Perfect example of what y'all are talking about playing out in real time on this forum right now:

Just listed:

Anthony Ellis trumpet
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=102480&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D102480&share_type=t&link_source=app

Now in my mind he absolutely deserves what the call is currently worth and $300 seems fair. But I bet my a$$ it ain't cost $300 when Anthony made it. So in y'all's mind is this unethical?

ssramage

Thanks for the feedback.

Not that it really matters, but I've owned the calls for 3 years. I can't remember how much I paid for them from Mr. Buice, but I'm not sure I agree with the logic of selling them at my purchase price if the market price is something different. While I agree that callmakers should make profit on their calls, they don't have any influence on the secondary market. That's dictated by supply/demand.

With that said, I bought these calls to keep, and have numerous others that I will be keeping, BUT I have another project in mind and could use the spare cash. If that goes away, these will stay on the shelf. Sounds like the market is anywhere from $350 to $500 from what I've heard.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ssramage on March 08, 2021, 04:12:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Not that it really matters, but I've owned the calls for 3 years. I can't remember how much I paid for them from Mr. Buice, but I'm not sure I agree with the logic of selling them at my purchase price if the market price is something different. While I agree that callmakers should make profit on their calls, they don't have any influence on the secondary market. That's dictated by supply/demand.

With that said, I bought these calls to keep, and have numerous others that I will be keeping, BUT I have another project in mind and could use the spare cash. If that goes away, these will stay on the shelf. Sounds like the market is anywhere from $350 to $500 from what I've heard.
$350-$500 easy with the potential, given the current craze, for substantially more. And you shouldn't feel bad at all.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: ssramage on March 08, 2021, 04:12:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

You should reread what I said. I agree with appreciation. Appreciation doesn't occur within weeks or a couple of months. If you have had the call for years then yes appreciation is a factor.