OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Welcome Back!  (Read 2145 times)

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Welcome Back!
« on: March 08, 2021, 06:12:20 AM »
Welcome back guys! And welcome aboard new team member Meleagris Gallopavo, glad to have you David.

So what's everyone got going on this year?  Anything exciting, trips planned, new guns, gear, calls, properties, etc.?

We had a great year last year and finished in 4th, a mere 42 points from first place.  We registered the max amount of birds (9), and Zach even killed the 2nd biggest bird entered into the contest!

I'll be hitting my home state of VA, and then Maryland, and PA this year.  Haven't done any scouting yet, but with some sun finally in the forecast I hope to get out soon.  Guns are patterned and vest is loaded though, so now I'm just counting the minutes.

Glad to see the team back and happy to have David aboard.  Check in here and let us know what you got going on.

Online Delmar ODonnell

Re: Welcome Back!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:37:34 PM »
Welcome to the team, David! I have really enjoyed the last two years getting to know everyone and talking turkey. This contest is a great way to meet some great people and make friends from across the country.

Mississippi's season opens one week from today and I am nipping at the bit to get after them. This is my last year in law school, and I planned my schedule where I can hunt everyday and I'll be done with everything April 14. I'm going to try to make the most out of this year, as I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to hunt this much again. I'll be in Kentucky the first week of its season, then I'm going to Nebraska with some buddies. I plan on hunting Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio the first half of May, then my dad and I are flying to Washington to hunt for a week. I'm tentatively planning on driving up ending my year in Minnesota and the UP of Michigan the last week of May.

I'm beyond excited to hear everyone's stories and I wish all yall a successful season. The greatest time of the year is almost upon us!

Offline POk3s

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
Happy to be back and a part of this team of killers! Welcome aboard David!

I am taking a week off at the end of April and traveling East. Starting in nebraska and we’ll just see how things line up from there! Got a couple states I might add in and one I might subtract! Just have to see how things unfold!

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:42:15 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Glad to be on the team and take part in the contest!  I stay pretty close to home which is in Suffolk, VA.  I have access to a lot of private land in Suffolk and Gates, NC that holds plenty of birds.  Was one bird shy of limiting out in both states last year.  I spent a lot of time on one piece of property where folks, including myself, had seen 4-5 longbeards and I could never get a shot at one.  When I was there they weren't, and when they were there I wasn't.  They roosted across the swamp from the property I hunted and I couldn't seem to pull them my way.   I could hear them gobbling across the swamp in the morning but I really think they stayed on that side most of the time.  Probably had something to do with the 20+ hens they had with them.  Had opportunities to kill a jake or two there but I don't shoot them.  I've had a year to think about it and I have some new tactics I'm gonna try.  I think my biggest mistake was waiting to the latter part of the season to hunt them.  I saw where a predator or a hunter got one and they seemed more scarce after that.  I wish good success to all of us this year.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »
Welcome aboard, David !!!!    You're in the presence of much greatness, now.     ;D

I'm pointing the Silverado south and fly low and fast on the 25th of this month.  Florida-bound.....    Going to hunt the 26th and 27th  in Alachua county.  Then south to Polk county to hunt the 28th and 29th.  After that, it'll just be our first week and the remaining Saturdays here at home in PA.

Hoping to convince a Florida blackwing to do something dumb in front of me. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline POk3s

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 11:13:55 AM »
Keep us posted as much as you can on that hunt Yoder! I’ve got 2 preference points going into next year’s draw and hope to head down to south Florida to try the same thing. Good luck buddy!!

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »
I'll do what I can, for sure.

This is going to be a whirlwind trip.  I have laid neither eyes or feet on either of the properties I am hunting.  There is a host that will be at the first place.  So, that puts me a little ahead of the curve there, maybe.  But the second property.......... Google Maps satellite view is what I've got to go on, so............  Figuring one day to learn some of the place (3K acres) and one day to try to pound a longbeard.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline zsully

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
Today really felt like spring in southwest Pa! I’m glad the weather’s starting to break and we’re getting the gang back together. It won’t be long before I’m blowing through gas like a fool trying to keep tabs on gobblers and letting work pile up so I can hear another gobble. This year I’ll be headed to Va, Pa and maybe slip in a quick trip or two to Wv. The main goal this year is to get my oldest boy Easton (6) his first bird. My other goal is to convince my wife to join us in the blind while he does it so she can transfer her tag and I can still chase 2 birds in Pa. I’m kidding......kind of. She’s not much of a turkey hunter (likes her sleep) but the one and only turkey she did kill was a longbeard while she was pregnant with Easton, with a bow to boot. So anyways, I got a little Stevens .410, mounted a red dot and have that thing dialed in and ready to kill anything inside 30 yards. Easton has been shooting and murdering those paper turkeys like there’s no tomorrow. I even like shooting it so much it may come along with me for a couple hunts this year. I can’t wait to kick this season off....4.5 weeks to go

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 09:36:40 AM »
Best of luck with that, Zach !!!!

I'm working on getting my younger boy (turns 14 tomorrow) into this thing.  He has Down Syndrome.  He's pretty high-functioning and loves to shoot.  But we're still working on keeping the red dot ON THE TARGET when the trigger gets pulled.  Just because he has special needs doesn't get him a pass at not being 100% able to make an ethical shot, so.........    I have an H&R .410 single set up for him.  I've not sent the barrel out yet and it's STILL a little hammer to 40 with #9 TSS and 30 with 7 1/2 lead.

Went out this morning to my listening spot.  Heard absolutely NOTHING............     :(
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 08:52:09 PM »
I haven’t been listening yet but I have a couple spots with a couple birds each on them. But they tend to wander around a good bit. The one spot I’ll leave to my dad..he’s 72 but still likes to chase after them so I let him have that area. Here’s my dilemma on the other spot.

A good friend of mine that I grew up with hosts a well known outdoor tv show and he wants to do some filming. Not sure of his schedule but I don’t know if I can let a bird slide by until he’s able to come down and hunt with me. Decisions...decisions!!

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 12:24:33 AM »
Late to the party, But I will start off by saying, WELCOME DAVID!!

Delmar! That's an action packed schedule and I'm 100% jealous. Can't wait to hear all the stories you have from this season.

Yoder, that's gonna be a great trip and I wish you the best of luck. I also have no doubts you'll be able to get your boy on a screaming gobbler this spring, and you know he'll be hooked after that.

As for myself, I'll be hitting Pa hard as always, and hoping to fill a WV tag either before our season or go back and forth between PA and WV. The only thing different about this season for me is I'm going to be putting the Benelli on the bench for a bit and switching it up to my Grandfathers Remington 11-87. I couldn't tell you the last time it laid a gobbler down, but just being able to tote his gun around is going to make this season a special one for me.

Weather is looking great next week here in SW PA, and I think it's about time to get out and start listening to come up with a solid game plan. Hoping to pick up a couple extra properties as well. Good luck to all and looking forward to another fun filled season with everyone.

Offline xbowhuntonly

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 08:57:38 PM »
This was at my place in Ohio this morning there was 11 long beards in this group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 11:50:36 PM »
Looks like you might be in the right spot.   Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline xbowhuntonly

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 02:43:00 PM »

Love this time of year already finding these beauties and Turkey season don’t open till next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 11:08:58 PM »
I'd say you have some options there in Ohio! Good luck this season.