OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scattering spring flocks at sundown  (Read 2183 times)

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Scattering spring flocks at sundown
« on: March 07, 2021, 10:27:43 PM »
The idea is this: as a flock moves towards their roost site, spook them in a way that scatters them in multiple directions. Ideally the hens go one way, gobbler the other, and late enough that they remain separated into the night. The next morning, set up at the roost site they had planned on (where you busted them up), and start calling.

I did this a few times, with limited success, decades ago when living in a state that only allowed hunting til noon. I used it on gobblers that were consistently henned up. Now, the scattering part is critical and pulling it off is tough. But when it worked, I've had birds run to me the next morning.

I can hunt all day now and have figured out more effective tactics with birds like this, so I don't do it anymore. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure that tactic was 100% legal, now that I think about it. Would it be considered harassing game outside of hunting hours?

Anybody here use this? How about busting birds by accident so bad that they scattered... what happened after that?

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Scattering spring flocks at sundown
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 11:25:03 PM »
I have used it several times.  It is has some risk in making the flock wilder,  but when it works, that gobbler wasn’t going to get any wilder anyway.  And it works good enough with a henned up gobbler to give it a whirl.  They get lonesome very quick.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 05:57:43 PM »
I agree with everything said.  I have accomplished an evening-roost flock-bust a few times incidentally when hunting a flock at the roost site, but to be honest, it is not a tactic I generally pursue. Turkey breeding behavior would suggest a broken flock at sundown will be trying to get back together first thing in the morning and that the gobblers are likely to be pretty active in doing so. 

In my personal experience, I have had it work in my favor a time or two,...and I have also seen the negative results of having flocks that were not well-busted seemingly vanish the next morning without a whimper.  As has been pointed out, it can also result in turkeys abandoning a roost site, at least for a time, with that kind of disturbance.

All in all, there are pro's and con's.  If you get it right, you can have a great hunt the next morning.  If you get it wrong,...not so much.   ;)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »
Why not just roost em and set up like you need to? Very often gobblers and hens seem to separate some. Get in between

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:37:37 PM »
Where were ya 4 years ago!  lol   Had a very ornery gobbler that would roost in the same tree as the hens.  Saw it with my own eyes and got a pic of him limb strutting with 2 hens above him in a fairly small pine tree.  Last day of the season.  I would have tried it on him. Nothing to lose if I had thought of it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 12:25:54 AM »
I'm not doing it on purpose. I'd much rather know where he is and set up on him instead of guessing he's over there some where and guessing/hoping I set up right.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
I'm not doing it on purpose. I'd much rather know where he is and set up on him instead of guessing he's over there some where and guessing/hoping I set up right.

Agree.  For me, there is always that moment of doubt about how those birds will react the next morning that keeps me from doing it on purpose.  If I leave them alone, I know for a fact that they will be there, undisturbed for the next morning's duel. 

Then again, after I lose that "duel" the next morning, I am sometimes sitting there thinking,..."Dammit, I should have busted them up last night!"   ;D :angel9: :toothy12:

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 01:40:58 AM »
GobbleNut I'm pretty sure your a guy I could hunt with. Been here for awhile and your posts are very well thought out. Long winded sometimes but usually so are mine. We don't see eye to eye on occasion but from what I've seen from your posts I respect you and your opinions
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 08:58:05 AM »
GobbleNut I'm pretty sure your a guy I could hunt with. Been here for awhile and your posts are very well thought out. Long winded sometimes but usually so are mine. We don't see eye to eye on occasion but from what I've seen from your posts I respect you and your opinions

I'm glad I've got somebody fooled on the site!  ;D :TooFunny:
Seriously, your comment is much appreciated, my friend. ...And from what I have seen, the same to you. 
(In the future, I will try to shorten some of my posts,...but don't nobody hold their breath!)  ;D