OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tss brands  (Read 10806 times)

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
Re: Tss brands
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »
I am also looking to load a lighter shell, I have the recipe just have not bought the components.  I shoot Hal's big 20xl 1 5/8 and it is impressive.  However you can only hit the bird with so many pellets so I am looking to lighten the load, he gave me an 1 1/4 load I believe.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »
I am also looking to load a lighter shell, I have the recipe just have not bought the components.  I shoot Hal's big 20xl 1 5/8 and it is impressive.  However you can only hit the bird with so many pellets so I am looking to lighten the load, he gave me an 1 1/4 load I believe.

Thats more what I'm looking to do as well.  Just bought 10 pounds of tss 9 shot and want to go a touch lighter than the really heavy loads.  1 1/4- 1 3/8 ounce max.  Saves shot and thats still a sh!t ton of pellets. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »
I reduced one of Hal's 20ga loads down to 1oz of tss 9's.
it averages in the upper 150's at 40yds

which according to the .7 rule and also from patterning it, gives more than 100 in the 10" at 50

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 02:54:59 AM »

I have to wonder when you reach a point of dimishing returns? I do not count pellets in a 10" or other size circle but prefer an even pattern. I eat my turkeys and really do not want to be chewing down on TSS. Yes, TSS does stay in the turkey much of the time especally if it hits bone.

Diminishing marginal return implies that something is in fact diminishing.  In this situation, price and performance are my factors of concern.  The Boss 2 oz shells significantly outperform other TSS I have shot and the price is equivalent or less.  Boss cost me $45 per 5 delivered to my hand.  Apex cost me $46/5.  Rogue was $53/5.  Federal was $39/5.

A dollar a shell difference between the 1.5 oz Federal and the 2.0 oz Boss is well justified to me based on the performance difference.  I have no interest in shooting lead out of a 20 so the price difference between Longbeards and any TSS in 20 is immaterial to me.

Everyone has their own view of cost versus effectiveness. Your paying more per shell to increase performance that really is not needed is a diminishing return when a much lower pellet count will more than suffice. After all we have been killing turkeys for years with lead shot.

Today we have TSS and other heavier then lead options to hunt with which provide longer range, better patterns and penetration. Personally I feel it is up to each individual to decide how they hunt and what they hunt with. But I like even patterns, good penetration but try to limit (excess shot) overkill. The obsession with super dense patterns that can blow a turkeys head off at thirty yards puzzles me (might be great in a shooting match). Currently I shoot 1 5/8 oz TSS and have never failed to kill my bird (when I do my part.) So I continue to wonder what the fascination with super dense patterns are when from my experience they do present as overkill. Just trying to understand others motivation and not trying to be critical.
He kinda missed the point by a mile, didn't he?   :z-winnersmiley:

I didn't miss squat.  He appears to be under the impression that I am paying more per shell to get a 2 oz load instead of the 1 5/8 load he uses. It is exactly what he said. "Your paying more per shell to increase performance that really is not needed is a diminishing return"

Fact is I am not paying more per shell than any 1 5/8 commercial load I have found.  Factor in shipping and the Boss 2oz cost me less per shell than 1 5/8 oz loads from Apex, Foxtrot, Nitro, Pendleton, Federal or Burgess Creek.  For that extra 3/8 oz, I get 130+ extra pellets for free.  If picking pellets out of breasts was a terrible concern to me, I wouldn't be shooting 9 shot to begin with.

I completely agree with you, the Boss Tom tungsten are, as you said , $45 + tax and shipping IS FREE when over $100 is spent (no hard to do) and you're gettin 2oz. of 9s compared to the normal 1 5/8 oz. .....don't see how that's a miss of any kind....ESPECIALLY WITH A FULL 2 OZ. !!!!!!!!

Hopefully you will be able to continue geting your commercial shells for 45 + tax and shipping. The way prices fluxuate these days I would surely stock up if possible. 2 oz of #9 is a heavy load in my opinion but hey if you need it go for it. As previously stated "Personally I feel it is up to each individual to decide how they hunt and what they hunt with." 

I do not purchase commercial TSS but handload my own and have been since before the commerical craze hit. I am always interested in what an individual is shooting and why. My turkeys fall dead when shot with 1 5/8 #9 as they do with #4 and soon to be tried #6. I am currently looking for an effective load with less shot maybe 1oz or 1.5. Your 2oz is going the other way I wonder why. Not knoking your pet load intentionally but just curious.

It's not so much a "need" as it is just plain available...what's the downside to paying less for more shot ? That's going to increase your odds in harvesting a bird. I also agree that 2 oz. of shot is not needed, but again, its there and costs' less than loads with a lesser payload and pattern phenomenal.