OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tss brands

Started by thundrchikin, March 07, 2021, 07:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundrchikin

I see it seems as most people are either shooting the Federal or Apex brand tss. Has anyone had any experience with the Tssshot brand or the Boss brand. I see the Boss brand has 2oz 20ga. load. I never knew that would even be possible. Thanks for the input.

mcw3734

I've been pleased with Nitro Company, though I've only used their 10 gauge shells. Pattern great, lots of options and they've shown excellent customer service.

randywallace

I have shot Federal, Apex, Nitro, Rogue and Boss.

Until they come out with something superior for my gun, the 2 oz Boss will be my choice.

Gentry

Quote from: randywallace on March 08, 2021, 01:44:45 PM

Until they come out with something superior for my gun, the 2 oz Boss will be my choice.
Now that's a pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Gentry on March 10, 2021, 03:50:48 AM

Now that's a pattern.

It'd better be with over 720 pellets in that load.  Lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Kyle_Ott

I've been very pleased with TSSshot.

340's in a 10" circle at 40 yards with their 1 5/8s 9's out of my M2 compact and an Indian Creek .555.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 10, 2021, 05:32:05 AM

Now that's a pattern.

I have to wonder when you reach a point of dimishing returns? I do not count pellets in a 10" or other size circle but prefer an even pattern. I eat my turkeys and really do not want to be chewing down on TSS. Yes, TSS does stay in the turkey much of the time especally if it hits bone.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 14, 2021, 09:59:39 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 10, 2021, 05:32:05 AM

Now that's a pattern.

I have to wonder when you reach a point of dimishing returns? I do not count pellets in a 10" or other size circle but prefer an even pattern. I eat my turkeys and really do not want to be chewing down on TSS. Yes, TSS does stay in the turkey much of the time especally if it hits bone.
I find inside of about 40 yards, the TSS 9s zip right through a big bird unless they hit wing bone and heavy flight feathers first.  That said I absolutely agree that at some point there just comes a limit as to what is overkill...

paboxcall

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 15, 2021, 10:44:36 AM
I find inside of about 40 yards, the TSS 9s zip right through a big bird unless they hit wing bone and heavy flight feathers first.  That said I absolutely agree that at some point there just comes a limit as to what is overkill...

Agreed. My Mossberg 500 20 gauge with a 22" barrel and IC .555 will do 329 with 1 3/8th oz of 9s, and 238 with 1.5 oz. of straight 8s.

I'm moving to the straight 8s. I'll take the added penetration and decreased pellet count over the blistering 9 pattern.

238 in a 10" circle with 8s is devastating performance at 40 yards.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

randywallace

Diminishing marginal return implies that something is in fact diminishing.  In this situation, price and performance are my factors of concern.  The Boss 2 oz shells significantly outperform other TSS I have shot and the price is equivalent or less.  Boss cost me $45 per 5 delivered to my hand.  Apex cost me $46/5.  Rogue was $53/5.  Federal was $39/5.

A dollar a shell difference between the 1.5 oz Federal and the 2.0 oz Boss is well justified to me based on the performance difference.  I have no interest in shooting lead out of a 20 so the price difference between Longbeards and any TSS in 20 is immaterial to me.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: randywallace on March 16, 2021, 11:48:44 AM

Diminishing marginal return implies that something is in fact diminishing.  In this situation, price and performance are my factors of concern.  The Boss 2 oz shells significantly outperform other TSS I have shot and the price is equivalent or less.  Boss cost me $45 per 5 delivered to my hand.  Apex cost me $46/5.  Rogue was $53/5.  Federal was $39/5.

A dollar a shell difference between the 1.5 oz Federal and the 2.0 oz Boss is well justified to me based on the performance difference.  I have no interest in shooting lead out of a 20 so the price difference between Longbeards and any TSS in 20 is immaterial to me.

Everyone has their own view of cost versus effectiveness. Your paying more per shell to increase performance that really is not needed is a diminishing return when a much lower pellet count will more than suffice. After all we have been killing turkeys for years with lead shot.

Today we have TSS and other heavier then lead options to hunt with which provide longer range, better patterns and penetration. Personally I feel it is up to each individual to decide how they hunt and what they hunt with. But I like even patterns, good penetration but try to limit (excess shot) overkill. The obsession with super dense patterns that can blow a turkeys head off at thirty yards puzzles me (might be great in a shooting match). Currently I shoot 1 5/8 oz TSS and have never failed to kill my bird (when I do my part.) So I continue to wonder what the fascination with super dense patterns are when from my experience they do present as overkill. Just trying to understand others motivation and not trying to be critical.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 16, 2021, 10:06:28 PM

Everyone has their own view of cost versus effectiveness. Your paying more per shell to increase performance that really is not needed is a diminishing return when a much lower pellet count will more than suffice. After all we have been killing turkeys for years with lead shot.

Today we have TSS and other heavier then lead options to hunt with which provide longer range, better patterns and penetration. Personally I feel it is up to each individual to decide how they hunt and what they hunt with. But I like even patterns, good penetration but try to limit (excess shot) overkill. The obsession with super dense patterns that can blow a turkeys head off at thirty yards puzzles me (might be great in a shooting match). Currently I shoot 1 5/8 oz TSS and have never failed to kill my bird (when I do my part.) So I continue to wonder what the fascination with super dense patterns are when from my experience they do present as overkill. Just trying to understand others motivation and not trying to be critical.
He kinda missed the point by a mile, didn't he?   :z-winnersmiley:

randywallace

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 19, 2021, 08:54:28 AM

I didn't miss squat.  He appears to be under the impression that I am paying more per shell to get a 2 oz load instead of the 1 5/8 load he uses. It is exactly what he said. "Your paying more per shell to increase performance that really is not needed is a diminishing return"

Fact is I am not paying more per shell than any 1 5/8 commercial load I have found.  Factor in shipping and the Boss 2oz cost me less per shell than 1 5/8 oz loads from Apex, Foxtrot, Nitro, Pendleton, Federal or Burgess Creek.  For that extra 3/8 oz, I get 130+ extra pellets for free.  If picking pellets out of breasts was a terrible concern to me, I wouldn't be shooting 9 shot to begin with.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: randywallace on March 19, 2021, 12:25:14 PM

I didn't miss squat.  He appears to be under the impression that I am paying more per shell to get a 2 oz load instead of the 1 5/8 load he uses. It is exactly what he said. "Your paying more per shell to increase performance that really is not needed is a diminishing return"

Fact is I am not paying more per shell than any 1 5/8 commercial load I have found.  Factor in shipping and the Boss 2oz cost me less per shell than 1 5/8 oz loads from Apex, Foxtrot, Nitro, Pendleton, Federal or Burgess Creek.  For that extra 3/8 oz, I get 130+ extra pellets for free.  If picking pellets out of breasts was a terrible concern to me, I wouldn't be shooting 9 shot to begin with.

I completely agree with you, the Boss Tom tungsten are, as you said , $45 + tax and shipping IS FREE when over $100 is spent (no hard to do) and you're gettin 2oz. of 9s compared to the normal 1 5/8 oz. .....don't see how that's a miss of any kind....ESPECIALLY WITH A FULL 2 OZ. !!!!!!!!

mtns2hunt

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on March 20, 2021, 04:24:10 AM
Quote from: randywallace on March 19, 2021, 12:25:14 PM

I completely agree with you, the Boss Tom tungsten are, as you said , $45 + tax and shipping IS FREE when over $100 is spent (no hard to do) and you're gettin 2oz. of 9s compared to the normal 1 5/8 oz. .....don't see how that's a miss of any kind....ESPECIALLY WITH A FULL 2 OZ. !!!!!!!!

Hopefully you will be able to continue geting your commercial shells for 45 + tax and shipping. The way prices fluxuate these days I would surely stock up if possible. 2 oz of #9 is a heavy load in my opinion but hey if you need it go for it. As previously stated "Personally I feel it is up to each individual to decide how they hunt and what they hunt with." 

I do not purchase commercial TSS but handload my own and have been since before the commerical craze hit. I am always interested in what an individual is shooting and why. My turkeys fall dead when shot with 1 5/8 #9 as they do with #4 and soon to be tried #6. I am currently looking for an effective load with less shot maybe 1oz or 1.5. Your 2oz is going the other way I wonder why. Not knoking your pet load intentionally but just curious.